Start up error - File:\Boot\BCD status 0xc000000f

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Omikse, I would but there isnt any. Cause i know you actually read that link to see that there was MORE than just booting from the DVD or using EasyBCD right? I mean Step 3 entails using the bootsect.exe command line tool. Step 4 shows how you can use the command prompt and then use EasyBCD to reset the BCD data store. All of which is in that very first link and none of which you mention you tried.

Plus i figure you used a search engine to get here so you must have been searching for a answer. Strange how i found one via Bing that uses the Windows RE Environment, again with the Vista DVD. A very in depth way to rebuild the MBR and BCD. Not to mention that among those results were steps on how to do a In-Place Upgrade of Vista so you have a clean install with your information. Here is the information on how to rebuild the MBR and BCD:

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when you are prompted.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.
Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.
Bootrec.exe options

The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:
  • bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd
/FixMbr

The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR.
/FixBoot

The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:
  • The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
  • The boot sector is damaged.
  • An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).
/ScanOs

The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista or Windows 7 installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list.
/RebuildBcd

The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

Which is why i referred you to the posts because they contained MORE information than which you say you tried. Which still contained information which you could try to do to fix your situation. Instead of getting snippy with a old friend maybe you could have seen that my advice was another suggestion as it contained more information than which you had already tried. Incase you dont realize it. I am the same person that you know from TTA.

Thank you for the quick response. 1st off I am running Vista Ultimate 64 so I do not have a Windows 7 Disk although I am downloading one at this moment. 2nd, When I put in my disk to run a repair from the command prompt, in one of the windows it give me an option to repair the start up but it does not show an OS to fix. Since I have three hard drives in my computer (2 of which were used for storage but nothing that I could not get again easily, I decided to just wipe one and start fresh. Now a new problem has arose. When I try a fresh install, after the computer restarts for the first time I keep getting the BSOD. SO I try to download another copy from sites that I know but I can not get the computer to boot from the other disks. I can only get one to work and every time I try to install, I get BSOD. I have never had this much trouble installing a OS in my life. So since I did not wipe my original HD I will give everything you had listed above a try with the old HD. again Thanks and I will let you know what happens later.

The information provided should work with either Vista or Win7. The BCD didnt change with win7 at all. ;)

What is the BSoD given? Maybe we can try to resolve that issue?

I would research the inplace upgrade method. It will save your files and stuff and give you a clean install.

Now that I know you are working two forums I go to nice to see ya. Anyway to answer your question, The BSOD flashes for about 2 seconds and then reboot. If I do not touch it, It just reboots and reboots and reboots. So you see why I can not give you info on the BSOD.

Try to snap a pic with a camera or phone. It would be better than nothing.

Does your BIOS have an option to halt on errors? That would prevent it from rebooting.

Hi...new user here...ok my problem is pretty much the same as the first post but with a few differences...i get the same black screen with the same message...my daughters advent 4213 is running XP and it does not have anywhere for a disc to be run...i know this has been caused by the the auto update of service pack 3 (it did the same with our PC but i was able to put that into safe mode and sorted it our with a restore) but with the 4213 it will not go into safe mode...can you point me in the right direction as to how address this problem...cheers and thanks in advance, John

You cant be getting that error if you are using XP. XP does not use the BCD boot loader. It uses the boot.ini file. You will need to be more specific about what the exact boot error is.

Hi...the error is file : \Boot\BCD status : 0xc000000f info an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

it is running WINDOWS XP and it did the same to our pc which is also XP...my laptop is fine as it's vista but both the other two have shown this error after service pack 3 was installed through auto updates...i know it's the service pack 3 because i had to restore the pc 3 times after the service pack update...i now have the auto update off on the pc but as i said in the first post,i can not get the advent netbook into safe mode as none of the F keys enter safe mode...it will bring up the bios report and pressing delete whilst loading gives me BBS POPUP...i'm trying to get the netbook into safe mode so i can restore it and turn off the auto updates so for it not to install SP3...cheers, John

As i have said, XP doesnt use the BCD. It has nothing to do with the BCD at all. That is only Vista/Win7. So this error is not created by the install of SP3. You need to fix the boot of XP.

Insert the XP CD, get to the recovery console and use the commands fixboot and fixmbr.

Hey, I recently ran into the same problem myself, so I downloaded EasyBCD and tried repairing my Windows with that, but I have some questions about Step 3 of the EasyBCD fix (Re-Creating all Vista Bootloader Files and Settings from Scratch). Since it doesn't re-create the files automatically, I understand that I have to delete the Boot folder completely? This is something that I really don't feel like doing. I mean... is it safe? Is there a possibility that I can mess something up really badly? Can these files be restored if something goes wrong? Does it even help? Well, these are my questions, just wanted some confirmation before randomly deleting files from the Windows folder.

Thanks a lot to whoever finds the time to answer my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom