Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just plain crap!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=37991&eid=4&edate=20060519
Dell vows more price cuts to regain momentum

Dell's strategy to "re-ignite" its growth will combine long-term aggressive pricing and a $100 million investment in its customer service operations, company executives said.

During a conference call with financial analysts, Dell's top executives said they were caught off-guard by the pricing competitiveness offered by rivals, and that its goal now is to come out shooting to regain any lost market share.

"We'll continue to do what it takes to capture more than our fair share of growth in the global IT market," said Dell Chairman Michael Dell. "[CEO] Kevin [Rollins] and I as well as the rest of our leadership team are sure we are making the right changes and intend to stay the course."

Company executives all but admitted they were caught flat-footed by price aggressiveness from rivals, including Hewlett-Packard and Lenovo, and that they were hurt when unit shipments failed to grow as much as expected as a result. Their planned actions are aimed at reversing course.

"For us to have eight or nine points of margin when their profitability was very low and have growth above the industry, all of these things became a little difficult to do all at the same time," said Dell CFO Jim Schneider. "It's not like we're trying to ignite some kind of price war, but [we'll] see where we can get."

In addition to aggressive pricing, Dell's new, heavy investment in customer service - including the addition of 2,000 new employees for that function - is aimed at quelling frequent complaints about shoddy service and support that have grown over the past year.

"I think it's going to be the sustained, thoughtful application of where to grow, how to grow," said Schneider. "We intend to take the goals of aggressive pricing, at the same time improving product quality, improving our overall service and support. We will be in better strategic shape in the long run. Our profitability will be better."

Dell executives made the remarks following release of the company's first quarter results. The company reported sales of US$14.2 billion and operating income of US$949 million for its first quarter - numbers in line with Dell's revised projections from last week.

Asked by one financial analyst during the conference call whether the company would entertain the idea of two-tier distribution in "emerging geographies," Rollins shot down that idea immediately.

"We're the direct company," he said.

This really pi$$es me off. Like how much further does Dell want to continue prosituting the computer market.

apokalipse said:
generally, prices here are a fair bit more than in the US
Try about (US to AUS Exchange Rate) + 30% on average for most computer equipment.

Mind you, you have manufactures like Apple that try to keep prices the same world wide. Like there little saving in me buying a iPOD from the states.
However other computer parts, there is about a 30% if i get it from the state. However that mean that I might have to send the good back there for RMA if any happens.

ulater6000 said:
Some of their centrino notebooks are alright.

Really?

Dell desktops are okay, for surfing the web.

But for a laptop, an HP is great. They have excellent tech support (so far), and they seem pretty fast.

talldude123 said:
But for a laptop, an HP is great. They have excellent tech support (so far), and they seem pretty fast.
HP Tech Support is only good provided that you have purchased an extended priority warranty.
With that, you are normally talking with some one that is local, and not in some call center in india.

Otherwise, they are done on the same level as what illwillpress showed with that PHOAMY THE SQUIREL "Tech Support" Flash Animation.

"Why I am calling for first great tech support from a third world country" - Foamy

My laptop has the Future Shop 3-year warranty, privately thru the store. HP warranty is 6 months.

The only reason i had to call them is how to remove the Norton antivirus pre-loaded, its such a hog on memory, and i have to install Avast. And HP told me "boot up into safe mode, and remove Norton from there". At least i didnt have to wait on hold for 1 hour, and then get redirected to Symantec's phone line.

Dell is finally offering a good deal.

Celeron, 160GB HD, 512MB RAM, CD-writer for $350 CDN.

And FREE SHIPPING!

I cant afford to pass this deal. Too bad my celeron is better anyways...

BEST NEWS I HAVE READ ALL DAY!

Here's the best bit news I have seen on this thread yet

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=38164&eid=4&edate=20060524
Dell CFO admits service blunders, vows rebound

Dell CFO Jim Schneider on Tuesday admitted the PC giant's zealous cost-cutting led to missteps in its services and said the company is rejiggering its workforce to help restore its reputation.

Speaking at the UBS Enterprise Technology and Services Conference in New York, Schneider also told investors that the company plans no layoffs as it strives to slash US$3 billion out of its cost structure. His comments came less than a week after Dell reported quarterly earnings that disappointed Wall Street.

"We need to cut a lot of costs, because we're not going to be laying people off," Schneider said. "So you're not talking about making some restructuring and taking costs out that way. We've done that before. The company is starting to get itself re-energised around some of these activities."

A key problem for Dell was that it had sought less expensive ways to deliver customer service and support, which resulted in missteps that led to customer outrage, Schneider said. At the same time, competitors did a better job of cutting their costs, which put extra pressure on Dell, he noted.

"Customer experience ... I don't think we purposely eroded it," Schneider said. "Along the way, we had some stumbles. We didn't become the easiest company to get service from, and if you're only a few bucks cheaper, it doesn't matter as much. We want to be more clearly the leader."

Dell announced last week that it plans to spend US$100 million to improve its service capability and has already hired 2,000 people to make improvements. Schneider also said on Tuesday that Dell has redeployed some employees as part of the effort.

"We've actually taken some of the best and brightest out of our manufacturing side of the business and moved a number of these people into our tech-support area to run that globally," Schneider said.

He also reiterated earlier remarks from Dell executives, who said the company aims to lower its profit margin, cut pricing and regain lost market share in some areas. Schneider, though, stopped short of saying how deep cuts would be and where they would be made.

talldude123 said:
first of all, in my personal opinion, i think AMDs are slow.

Would a Celeron 3.33 ghz be good for basic computing, or should i STAY AWAY from celeron?

Then you need to get on a AMD 3000+ or above without some weird settings that make it run slow.
i used to hate my 1GHz pentium 3 but it was reliable.
you should stay away from a celeron really but of course, it will do the job with that CPU speed.

on topic: i dislike dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom