Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It could be better but good job.

• Just plain crap!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell is good if you buy the business varieties. The consumer products are complete crap. Everybody here is a pretty hardcore gamer so there wont be many vote yes on the poll.

i know alot about computers, but i basically surf the net, and listen to music/watch videos. Is a dell good enough for that type of computing?

You can build one for pretty cheap to do those functions. Dells use crummy parts. Also if you build, if you want to get into gaming ever, you will have that option. Dells don't like you to upgrade them. If you dont want to build, go to a local computer store and have it built.

if i was looking for a CHEAP big-name computer that could be upgraded later, what would be a good brand? Emachines, Gateway, HP?

None of those will allow you to upgrade them. They are all proprietary. Just ask Riceball or NosBoost300.

You could get a custom Systemax one that would be a bit better, but any of the big consumer brands just suck when it comes to parts and upgradability.

what is NOT upgradable on a dell?
you could upgrade the memory and HD right?
i guess the video card, sound card, ethernet, etc. isnt upgradable?

talldude123 said:
what is NOT upgradable on a dell?
you could upgrade the memory and HD right?
i guess the video card, sound card, ethernet, etc. isnt upgradable?

Well, a lot of the time, the memory uses special voltages so you MUST purchase Dell brand memory. I've seen this numerous times. You wont be able to upgrade the video card because most of the time, they dont include an AGP or PCI-Express slot, only PCI(standard). Even if you do have an AGP or PCI-Express slot, your PSU won't be strong enough to support a new graphics card. Depending on your model, you may or may not be able to replace the PSU. More than likely you wouldn't because they use proprietary PSUs designed to fit into their cases and none other will fit. They are usually 250W or 300W these days, very weak if you want to run a non-integrated graphics board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom