• No, I'll be sticking with Windows 7

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Windows XP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Windows Vista

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Mac OS!

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No, I'll be sticking with <insert Linux distro>, tell us in the comments!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I use XP on my HTPC because
1) I don't want/need to pay to upgrade since it works fine for my purposes on that rig (and I don't see the need to pirate it).
2) I play some older games that don't seem to like Win7 much, hence the comment about software compatibility.
I understand your argument, but as somebody who uses a 98 box I can seriously say the only games that don't play well in 7 are older DOS games that you can play in DOSBox. I haven't had any 95 or 98 games that wouldn't run smoothly in 7.

My main PC will stay Windows 7, but i have a touchsreen tablet that is already running Windows 8 and i love it. I will be using Windows 8 on it for sure. Touchscreens it's a must have.

I just got a call from a friend who was really mad that his new laptop came with Windows 8 instead of Windows 7. He wanted to know if their was any way he could downgrade to Windows 7 so he could get the start menu back because he dislikes the Metro UI. I told him that he would need to pay $100 to get Windows 7 back but he could install classic shell to get the start menu in Windows 8. I don't see Windows 8 being a successful product if average users are already wanting to revert to Windows 7 after less than a week of Windows 8.

To be fair, that could just mostly be an aversion to change in general, rather than the changes in Windows 8. You'd know your friend better than me, obviously, but do you think it could be that?

Also, random tip - press Win+X

PP, I play some random older games that apparently don't like Win7.
Caesar III won't install/load in Win7 or XP compatibility mode .
Fallout 2 has graphics bugs in Win7, didn't try compatibility mode though, runs fine in XP.

Pretty game specific though, because Civ 2 runs fine in Win7 and I'm pretty sure it came out around the same time as those two (late 90s).

I tested out the preview some months ago.
Like most desktop users I am not a fan of the Metro UI and UI changes in general except for the additions made to windows explorer. I could not justify switching to it at this point in time as the actual performance improvements are slight/unnoticeable currently anyway.

I am considering it, but from NewEgg's video it looks like I might as well go with a clean install if I do as an upgrade will only keep personal files and not any apps.

I have no intentions of switching. I've played around with it at work for a few weeks and whilst there are many features I enjoy, and many aspects I feel that they have improved on, the metro UI really puts me off using it. I've never had a problem using Win 7 and feel no need to upgrade to an OS that I wouldn't like as much.

Is that the original copy, or the updated version from GoG?
I used the original disc to install then applied all the patches I could find online. Although I apparently missed an "HD patch" that may have fixed the artifacting I was seeing.

But like I said:
Roark said:
Granted you will likely be able to find appropriate patches, but I'm lazy and prefer for things to just work as intended.
So my assumption is that older games that work fine on Win7 will have issues with 8, just like games that run fine on XP have issues on 7 (granted there was vista between those two).

Back
Top Bottom