• No, I'll be sticking with Windows 7

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Windows XP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Windows Vista

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No, I'll be sticking with Mac OS!

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No, I'll be sticking with <insert Linux distro>, tell us in the comments!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
...you are kidding, right?

No, no update, Blizzard is rather... not happy with 8, so they will probably take a short while. Most gamers aren't stupid enough to touch 8 when 7 is proven stable for gaming.

PP, I play some random older games that apparently don't like Win7.
Caesar III won't install/load in Win7 or XP compatibility mode .
Fallout 2 has graphics bugs in Win7, didn't try compatibility mode though, runs fine in XP.

Pretty game specific though, because Civ 2 runs fine in Win7 and I'm pretty sure it came out around the same time as those two (late 90s).
Caesar 3 works fine for me. Use 98/ME compat mode with admin. Setup takes a little bit but it does work. Use SETUP.EXE not the flash based one.

No I will not be updating to windows 8 or windows RT because i do not have a touch screen monitor and the controls or difficult with a mouse

I'll upgrade to Windows 8 if Microsoft gives you an option to disable the start screen and use the start menu instead.
Start Is Back - beta 4 - MSFN Forum

Okay no offense, but get over it already people. The Start Menu is gone and so is the code for it.
Actually, most of the code for the start menu is still there. Various jump menus and even search functionality use the same code.
Start Is Back - beta 4 - MSFN Forum - Page 2

Microsoft is not going to bring it back and here is a real shocker for you, it wont be back for Windows 9 either. I will wager to bet that it wont be in Windows 10 or anything after as well.
That's their plan.
However, I think the term "shooting yourself in the foot" applies. The lack of a start menu along with the removal of aero transparency will make it unpopular. Maybe even so unpopular that competitors eat away at Microroft's market share in a big way.

Even if they are relatively small features from a technical standpoint, they're pretty major from a user standpoint.

If Microsoft doesn't change their decision, a lot of users will.

So use your 3rd party hacks to get the start menu back, complain that the OS isnt stable cause you hacked it up with software and blame Microsoft cause you are not using it as intended. I can see that next. It will happen. But stop begging for something that isnt going to happen. The Start Menu is gone for good. End of life, it is dead and buried. They are not bringing it back and in 3 years time, you will have forgotten it existed in the first place.
From what I've seen, almost every start menu replacement is a replica. Not modifying the system files in any way.

Then there's two from a person called Tihiy:
• one of them (ex7forW8) uses a modified windows 7 explorer (it does not overwrite Windows 8's explorer, it just makes the modified explorer the default using a simple registry change)
• one of them (StartisBack) uses a dll to reimplement the start menu in Windows 8's explorer without modifying explorer itself, while using Microsoft's own code (that they didn't, and actually can't remove without breaking other things)

The UI change from 7 to 8 is substantially more than the UI changes from XP to 7. I would also argue that the upgrades to the UI from XP to Vista/7 increased productivity whereas the
"upgrades" from 7 to 8 decrease productivity, unless you're using a touch-screen. Windows 8 makes sense for a touch-screen computer but the metro UI is quite silly if you're using a mouse and keyboard.
The nature of the changes are extremely different, too. Windows Vista/7 hardly replaced any functionality from Windows XP. Almost all the changes were just adding features or making subtle changes where they were still familiar.

The reason people didn't like Vista was because it was so buggy and broke programs, and because of performance. As well as very frequent UAC prompts. But that's not an issue now.

Last edited:
My best friend just got his first taste of 8 today on his grandmas new laptop. Needless to say, there were a ton of profanities coming at me through text lol.

The only thing I dislike about it is that they removed Windows Media Center. You have to buy it now. On the good side, it's free right now until January I think, and then it's $10. Other than that, I don't know why people dislike Windows 8.

Back
Top Bottom