Xbox One

Hmmm do you understand how Lcache works on CPUs? Where you have RAM, and then like 8MB of L3 (for example), 512KB L2, ect on CPUs. The data is streamed to this small pool that is ridiculously fast for the CPU to grab small bits of data from. This is basically the same thing ESRAM does. It's supposed to be super fast for small scale objects but there is a flaw in this logic. The unified architecture is meant for texture resolution to be greatly increased because there is such a large pool of RAM to use now. ESRAM issues are the reason why the GPU was scaled down on the Xbox. In the end, this will cripple it compared to the PS4 for the same reason why you don't buy a PC GPU with 4GB of slow DDR3 on a slow GPU. So when developers start utilizing high amounts of RAM due to having it there, the GPU will be slower to calculate and process, and 32MB seems kind of moot for textures that could be over 1GB a piece. Even if it can achieve a throughput of 192GB/s theoretically (much higher than originally announced).

To give you an idea, my quad channel RAM running at 2133MHz (DDR3) gives me about 68GB/s, while the GDDR5 on the PS4 is around 172GB/s. The Xbox's DDR3 will run slower than my RAM speed which is why they went for the ESRAM setup. While although for PCs memory bandwidth on the CPU side isn't an issue, we have graphics cards with dedicated GDDR5 that do the heavy texture work. This is why AMD's APU chips strive for higher memory speeds on PCs because their RAM is the CPU's RAM.

THis is essentially why I say the PS4 is better in almost every way. The GPU is faster, the RAM is faster (not just for CPU, but GPU too) and there isn't a lack of bandwidth until textures just get too high. Memory latency is kind of a moot point when you're looking at double the bandwidth (like DDR2 to DDR3 system memory on PC). I hope this helps clear it up a bit.

Edit: I'll add, that theoretically until developers scale up textures due to getting used to the hardware the ESRAM can give the Xbox the upper hand in sprite handling, and other small static objects. Things with small detail that won't really get changed until developers can ramp up graphics. For instance, grass is usually just a moving sprite that ESRAM can handle. Stuff like that. That will change quickly though, and I don't really see it helping. Possibly only hurting it.

Last edited:
Not sure if sarcastic or not, but thanks anyways. I absolutely love hardware, console or otherwise. I think what they are doing with the APU is amazing compared to what we have for the PCs, and I really hope that unified upgradable RAM for the PCs becomes a thing. No more VRAM limits like what I ran into earlier this year. I can only dream I suppose.

PP Mguire, you are now the smartest person on the interwebs. Damn dude

Not sure if sarcastic or not, but thanks anyways. I absolutely love hardware, console or otherwise. I think what they are doing with the APU is amazing compared to what we have for the PCs, and I really hope that unified upgradable RAM for the PCs becomes a thing. No more VRAM limits like what I ran into earlier this year. I can only dream I suppose.

This was one of these extremely rare times when ajacks is not trolling and gave you a legitimate compliment.

Thanks for the explanation. That what I was wondering with the ESRAM being so much smaller. So does it make sense that they added the DDR speed and ESRAM speeds together? If they are in charge of drastically different calculations it seems misleading.

Thanks for the explanation. That what I was wondering with the ESRAM being so much smaller. So does it make sense that they added the DDR speed and ESRAM speeds together? If they are in charge of drastically different calculations it seems misleading.
RAM bandwidth is still RAM bandwidth when you look at it in raw aspect, but yes it's very misleading. The ESRAM can't do have as much as real good amounts of RAM even if it is almost 3x faster than DDR3.

Wanted to point out, the RAM bandwidth calculations are an educated guess because they didn't really say what speed the Xbox's DDR3 runs at. I'm sure it isn't quad channel, so it'll be lower than my 68 either way. Just wanted to put it out there.

nah dude you know your sheet... thanks for the knowledge, although i only understand about half of it

I'm not going to lie, there are much smarter people than I who kind of break it down on the internet, and I just kinda simplify it further. For instance, I knew what it was there for, but not what specifically. Small static particles and such I read on an article not too long ago because I thought bringing ESRAM back was a stupid idea. I thought that small amounts of memory here and there failing would have made them learn a lesson. Guess we'll have to see if it really plays in their favor or not, although I don't think it will. The PS4 is a superior system in practically every way.

Back
Top Bottom