Xbox One

I think Microsoft would reduce the price and make money through Xbox live. My opinion.......
A reasonable point. Drop the price by $100 anyway, and get a lot of purchases that would've gone to the PS4. Make it up within 3 years of XBL Gold.

Kinect isn't manditory anymore but they are still not selling any Xbox One's without it. In other words, you never have to even hook up the thing if you don;t want to, but you still have to buy it, and you still have to pay $500.

I'm interested to know how much it costs MS to make a console and to make Kinect 2. Its pretty normal for consoles to lose money per unit on hardware then it is gained by software and services until part cost reduces.

MS made their own chip/gfx card right this thing, right? Probably had something to do with it being $500.

I don't think its as easy as saying $500 cause of the Kinect. Probably more factors involved.

While the PS4 is $399 I wonder how much of a hit they're taking?

I'm interested to know how much it costs MS to make a console and to make Kinect 2. Its pretty normal for consoles to lose money per unit on hardware then it is gained by software and services until part cost reduces.

MS made their own chip/gfx card right this thing, right? Probably had something to do with it being $500.

I don't think its as easy as saying $500 cause of the Kinect. Probably more factors involved.

While the PS4 is $399 I wonder how much of a hit they're taking?

I'm not sure about the XB1, but I've read that Sony will just about break even on sales of PS4's. It stated that the only profits they'll make are from game sales and PSN +

I'm not sure about the XB1, but I've read that Sony will just about break even on sales of PS4's. It stated that the only profits they'll make are from game sales and PSN +

If they can just break even then that's really good for a new console. I just don't think the same is for X1 and thats why its more expensive aside from Kinect 2.

The PS4/One are both similarly spec'd, other than a few differences where the PS4 has a slight advantage. The price difference is mainly because of the Kinect. If the PS4 can have better hardware and cheaper... then yeah, the cost difference is because of the mandatory purchase of the Kinect.

No, MS didn't make their own chips; neither did Sony for that matter. Both PS4 and One are running off an AMD APU (CPU/GPU combo) I believe, with dedicated GDDR RAM for the GPU portion of it.

The PS4/One are both similarly spec'd, other than a few differences where the PS4 has a slight advantage. The price difference is mainly because of the Kinect. If the PS4 can have better hardware and cheaper... then yeah, the cost difference is because of the mandatory purchase of the Kinect.

No, MS didn't make their own chips; neither did Sony for that matter. Both PS4 and One are running off an AMD APU (CPU/GPU combo) I believe, with dedicated GDDR RAM for the GPU portion of it.

Hm, thought I had read somewhere that MS didn't do AMD. But, guess you're right. Just looked it up. I looked though right after its unveil so guess it was bad info.

It should also be noted that the PS4 will have ajacks13... another major selling point in these next gen console wars

Both consoles utilize 8 core Jaguar and AMD GPU. The PS4 has more shader cores on the GPU almost doubling GPU performance while also having 8GB of GDDR5 giving it double the memory bandwidth of even my quad channel setup. The Xbox has 8GB of DDR3 (about quarter the effective bandwidth of the PS4) and is making it up with ESRAM. In terms of sheer power and development ease the PS4 wins by a longshot.

I think the Xbox is extra money due to the excessive tri-kernel OS and Kinect. Nothing more.

Can you give a breakdown of how ESRAM is utilized. I saw it was only 32mb which doesn't seem very large. I saw an article about the Xbone's "theoretical" speed being higher because of it.

Back
Top Bottom