What is it about WoW that makes so many people addicted to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yes I am that old I can recall playing a MUD.

I remembers MUD.

back in the early days of on-line gaming I played Ultima Online

I remembers playing Zork, which eventually evolved to Ultima Online.

^your only 24 lol...

So. Ultima Online and MUD are not that old. My sister's BF has some friends that still play UO. It still have a bit of a following.

So. Ultima Online and MUD are not that old. My sister's BF has some friends that still play UO. It still have a bit of a following.
no he said "im that old i can remember playing.."
that makes him sound like pretty darn old.

WoW is simple minded, and accessible to the dumbed down masses. It was so easy to level up I often found myself doing other things while I did that. I would be fixing other people's computers while I played wow and it really doesn't take much brain power to play it. There's youtube vids of 3-5 year olds playing it and doing allright. That tells you something. WoW is not a challenge to play. It's like anyone can have a facebook or myspace page, but rarely anyone who codes thier own and rolls thier own servers.

WoW is also addicitng becuse of marketing as well. Blizzard spends so much money on shoving it down our throats. Also people played it becuase it was an MMO based off a successful franchise.

just like D&D online.

and now you got AION, Alganon, and lots of other WoW clones out there and that's all they seem to make and it sucks. all those games have the same gamplay and it got old real quick. LOTRO is a wow clone as well. I played it and got bored after 4 days. Beta tested for AION and the game was boring. the flight is a gimmack. Alganon is a WoW clone in almost every way.

I juust hope more MMOs do something different and don't hate on me for saying this:

runescape is one MMO that is much more satisfying than WoW is. At least it plays different and has more to do than just grind. You ccan work on so many skills. WoW-you are limited to 3.

I cna go on and on about how crappy WoW is.

wow is not limited to learning only 3 skills you have 2 primary and 3 secondary's equaling out to 5 skills and once your done with one of the primary's you can switch it for another. wow isnt as simple minded as you think the game goes as deep as people using spread sheets to figure out what gear to get to maximize dps and so on. icc 10 and 25 is such a coordination based raid that not anyone can hop on and o well. the fundamentals of the game are simple yes that is why it is popular, but it has a lot of hard core stuff to satisfy the hardcore fans as well. that is why wow is so popular it is so flexible in the range of skill level needed and enjoyment you can get out of it, and once you think raiding is to easy, go and hop into arena and tell me that is easy, because it isnt. wow is simply popular due to its advertising the appeal to the number of players, and the diversity of skill needed to play the game as it can entertain any gamer casual or hard core. and rune scape is crap imo.

I was one of the best defenders of the bases and I didn't even try (warlock and I used curses/fear on everyone). When i was a hunter I pwned like it was no thing arenas were a cakewalk. got bored of it because everyone was n00bs.

<-Current WoW Player, it took me close to about a year and a half after it came out to pick it up and start playing because i thought paying $15 a month was silly just to play a game. i first day i got it i played it for about 15 hours straight. it all just felt right and since i was already a warcraft fan it felt even more right. i've been an avid wow player ever since, i even got my gf addicted to it. i guess the fact of lvling and gearing draws ppl in, that and the fact that you interact with other ppl online. its fun to get together and argue with a person who just spammed "ANAL (insert funny achievement ending here)" in trade chat, you'll get that kind of entertainment no where else lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom