UK's Terrifying Anti-Piracy Plans Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
UK's Terrifying Anti-Piracy Plans Leak

If the "leaked" information in this article is accurate, anyone caught sharing files in the UK could soon be facing jail time. Uh-oh, I don't think too many people in the UK are going to be happy about this. Well, aside from that freaky pro-RIAA dude that sends me hate mail every time I post one of these stories.

The Secretary of State would get the power to create new remedies for online infringements. (for example, he could authorize jail terms for file-sharing, or create a "three-strikes" plan that costs entire families their Internet access if any member stands accused of infringement)

Totally unjustified. It just goes to show how 1st world governments classify the extent of crimes, always in favor of corporate welfare. Sex related crimes, assault, and even manslaughter/murder will probably hold less punishments than "file-sharing".

Any ISP that wants to adopt this policy 100% will be committing financial suicide, and they know it. The companies worth their salt in business will try to keep people away from this insane policy as much as possible, obviously in favor of keeping their customers and money.

If that's not the case however, then it will be just more proof how power corrupt the government and corporations are. I'm pretty sure that's called corporate fascism.. but I could be wrong. (Rolls eyes)

Not to mention that this is on top of that recent "in-home CCTV" scandal, where the police are encouraging homeowners to install CCTV inside their homes to face out in the streets to stop vandalism, etc. Yes, because the police are always concerned about vandalism. How long before they request people rotate the cameras 180°?

These recent developments are making the UK seem like one creepy Orwellian locale, and the US and Australia are not far behind, either.

Things are starting to get a bit rediculous, what I find funny is, that they can go out, and say what ever they want, and regardless, they always win, except a few minor cases...

The technology is legit, copying data is legit, there is nothing PHYSICAL being transfered... What if I randomly wrote a bunch of 0's and 1's, that for, 20 digits matched the pits on a cd, would I be imprissoned because I wrote them, purely randomly? There needs to be new laws, and not laws that could put someone that wanted a single file for free in jail, but laws that also PROTECT users, these companies can perform illegial operations and get away with it, yet average people cant. I find it funny a file sharer can go to jail longer than a meth addict.

The thing is, humans by nature copy information. That's just part of who we are.
The concept of ownership of information is a relatively new one in human history. And it's rather arbitrary to say that it's wrong for us to copy it.

Not only that, but some of the punishments given far exceed those given to murderers or rapists in many cases. For making a copy of some information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom