China Not Happy About MS anti-piracy tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Backlash over Microsoft's anti-piracy tactics - Security - Technology
Backlash over Microsoft's anti-piracy tactics

Chinese internet users have expressed fury at Microsoft's launch of an anti-piracy tool targeting Chinese computer users to ensure they buy genuine software.

The "Windows Genuine Advantage" program, which turns the user's screen black if the installed software fails a validation test, is Microsoft's latest weapon in its war on piracy in China, where the vast majority of 200 million computer users are believed to be using counterfeit software, unwittingly or not.

"Why is Microsoft automatically connected with my computer? The computer is mine!" one angry blogger wrote on popular Chinese web portal Sina.com. "Microsoft has no right to control my hardware without my agreement."

Another blogger railed over the cost of authorised versions.

"If the price of genuine software was lower than the fake one, who would buy the fake one?" he wrote.

A visitor to a Beijing internet cafe said Microsoft was violating people's rights.

"If, when I'm programing, the computer screen goes black, that will probably cause some important information to be lost," he said. "Who will pay me for my loss then?"

Dong Zhengwei, 35, a Beijing lawyer, described Microsoft as the "biggest hacker in China with its intrusion into users' computer systems without their agreement or any judicial authority," the China Daily said.

"Microsoft's measure will cause serious functional damage to users' computers and, according to China's criminal law, the company can stand accused of breaching and hacking into computer systems," he was quoted as saying.

"I respect the right of Microsoft to protect its intellectual property, but it is taking on the wrong target with wrong measures. They should target producers and sellers of fake software, not users."

The software giant defended the program on its website as part of its "commitment to help protect its intellectual property and to help you avoid problems before they happen."

"The purpose ... is to help our customers to determine (if) genuine software is installed on their computers," Microsoft told Reuters.

Welcome to April 25, 2006 China. Windows Genuine Advantage as been no secret from any one.

"If, when I'm programing, the computer screen goes black, that will probably cause some important information to be lost," he said. "Who will pay me for my loss then?"
This part cracks me up all the time. I laugh at the irony in this guy's statement. Talk about calling the kettle black.

I agree users shouldnt be punished, those who distribute it should.

Why shouldn't users be punished for stealing? They should be let off the hook just because the guy who gave it to them is doing it more?

The people in that article are all completely retarded.

You have to look at it from their point of view. A lot of people in china don't have much money compared to people in the western world, I have a copy of XP Pro which cost me 40p (85cents) and it works fine although I'm onto vista which is a legit copy, if you earned 20 quid a week what are you going to choose?

So because you make less money you shouldint have to pay?

By that reasoning i could go buy a brand new car for $500 cause i don't have enough money. Nah thats not how it works.....i swear china pirates everything and they wanna complain? lol idiots

200 million illegal copies out there!!!!!!

"Microsoft's measure will cause serious functional damage to users' computers and, according to China's criminal law, the company can stand accused of breaching and hacking into computer systems," he was quoted as saying.
LOL...do they know how many copyright laws theyve broken????????

I'm not saying they shouldn't it's their choice to break the law or not and when your earning barely anything then what choice are you going to make.

Of course...but to complain about it???

They have no right. They didnt even legally pay for the software...if youre gonna pirate something
dont complain when it doesnt work right.

I dont buy all my software but do i complain when something doesnt work?? Nope...i just find another that does.

Linux is free... let them leech off of it and quit whining because Microsoft finally grew a pair.

Linux is free... let them leech off of it and quit whining because Microsoft finally grew a pair.
Amen Trotter.

Don't complain about the software not working. And Microsoft CAN"T go after the people selling the products. YOu want to know why? Because they are in China, it is China's jursidiction. DO you think American's would be happy if a Chinese company came over and arrested an American citizen? No, American's would be up in arms. This is why Microsoft realizes that sueing the sellers, or trying to jail them A)won't work, b/c China won't back them B)it would cost entirely too much money. It would be easier just to program the software to stop functioning.

+1 for Microsoft. Those bloggers need to get a grip and realize software piracy is a crime, and in ANY other country they would be sued.

In my opinion those people are getting what they deserve. If they don't want to pay for an os there are plenty of great linux distro's that are free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom