TSMC: 40nm issues resolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat.Clown

I don't overclock
TSMC's Senior VP of Operations, Mark Liu, has mentioned that TSMC's troubled 40nm process is now of the same quality as the mature 65nm process. The chamber mismatch issue which dropped the yields of the HD 5800 series to a reported 40% have now been resolved, and yields are recently rumoured to be between 60% and 80%.

Mr. Liu did not delve into further details. Yield rates are a win-win-win situation for everyone involved. ATI will be able to ship more GPUs at lower manufacturing costs, customers will get widespread availability and lower prices.

Nvidia's much anticipated GF100 is also based on the same TSMC 40nm process. With constant rumours of disastrous yields, delays after delays, an improvement in the process is just what Nvidia needed.

Of course, these yield increases are reflected and evidenced by the sudden widespread availability of the HD 5800 series around the turn of the year.

Interestingly, volume production of 28nm products is all set for third quarter 2010. This is earlier than we would be expecting ATI's next-generation N. Islands, or perhaps even Nvidia's GF100 die shrink. Could those products be 28nm, skipping 32nm completely? It has also been suggested that ATI will have a 32nm Evergreen shrink before moving on to the next generation N. Islands. TSMC certainly seem to have made up for the disastrous 40nm process with 28nm entering volume production before schedule.

source: VR-Zone

Wow...2010 is going to be a heck of a year for GPU's. At least ATi has something to answer GF100...but then again, nVidia's 28nm will answer right back?

i just don't see the point in it.....why all the upgrading all at once? They are fighting a war that's useless. I just recently said it in an nvidia thread but i'll say it again :

anything on the 4850/gtx 260 level can max pretty much every game..so why the need to bring out cards like this when the games won't really be improved? (speaking for the average user..i guess someone running a 32inch screenw ith 16xx would like more powerful cards...but yea lol....just for the average user)

Because they can, and most importantly, people will buy them. The enthusiast users who want bleeding edge and are willing to pay top dollar for it have been doing so forever and will continue to do it.

i just don't see the point in it.....why all the upgrading all at once? They are fighting a war that's useless. I just recently said it in an nvidia thread but i'll say it again :

anything on the 4850/gtx 260 level can max pretty much every game..so why the need to bring out cards like this when the games won't really be improved? (speaking for the average user..i guess someone running a 32inch screenw ith 16xx would like more powerful cards...but yea lol....just for the average user)

um... so we should just stop all technological advances in the computer industry?

trust me... games are not the main motivator for companies like nvidia, ati, intel and amd to advance their tech.

I remember not long ago that people said that having a card lke the 8800 was overkill. That games would never bypass it and that it could do and handle everything. Here we are and wow, same statement.

Just because it can do everything NOW doesnt mean that in a year or less that these cards will be able to do everything. Innovation shouldnt stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom