Nvidia Prepares For 40nm GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon1

Banned
VR-Zone has learned that Nvidia is moving on to 40nm process much quicker than expected. Nvidia is usually conservative when moving on to a finer process technology but seems like this time round, they are determined to get there ahead of AMD. This move is risky but probably Nvidia has done some serious simulation and prototyping to estimate the yield and stability of the TSMC 40G process technology. The first GPUs on 40nm process technology will be the mobile parts codenamed N10x, the successor to the current 65/55nm NB9x. Nvidia is expected to apply a die shrink to their desktop parts too to lower cost and thermal envelope so there might be a chance to see a GX2 solution for GT200.

Source

VR-Zone has learned that Nvidia is moving on to 40nm process much quicker than expected.
They kinda have to though. G200 does cost a lot to manufacture; it is the largest GPU die TSMC has made I think.
They can't be making a lot of profit after the very large price drops.

Actually, I hope Nvidia pulls it off. Their recent run of luck has sucked, but it has been their competition that has driven AMD/ATI to develop and deploy the cards out now.

The loss of cashflow from bad publicity, as well as replacing bad chips, has hurt them. The decreased revenue from the new cards due to high costs and slashed prices is not helping them.

Im liking this current round of GPU wars. For once it is good from ATI vs good ones from Nvidia - and none of the $1000 business!! Good ones people can actually afford (except me...)

It's "etc." As in E-T-C. Not ect. It's et cetera, not ecetera.

Ok, grammar nazi-ing done.:D
ME IZ KNOT FER KARING,
petergriffin.gif

Actually, I hope Nvidia pulls it off. Their recent run of luck has sucked, but it has been their competition that has driven AMD/ATI to develop and deploy the cards out now.

The loss of cashflow from bad publicity, as well as replacing bad chips, has hurt them. The decreased revenue from the new cards due to high costs and slashed prices is not helping them.
I hope they suffer, and of course eventually turn around and do good. I'm not a fan of what Nvidia has been doing with the whole gpu name game and flood the market to confuse nublets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom