Need new speakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet. Now to decide whether to buy them now, or after I'm done moving in a month or so.

a 2 inch port on 5 1/2 inch speaker small? the port is on the back
this is a soft silk dome tweeter

BX5a_pair-8742f3d56a58c3849e910430aaceb4ec.jpg

mordred. it's an excellent choice. I know some people who have more expensive monitors. yet they tell me that mine sound better

They active ? what power rateing are they ..?

They active ? what power rateing are they ..?

40 watt for the 5 1/4, 30 on the tweeter. they get real loud too.

the polk have a 12 inch passive radiator of mine and a 15 inch on the big one. these kind of systems go deeper than port and sealed boxes. read the article about the big one. it produce some really deep bass

O right okay thanks.

I have a question, the rubber around the cone (that allows it to move) doesn't seem very big, so isn't it physically limited to how loud it goes before the woofer starts slapping ? (i think thats the term)

111sins, if you are aspiring to to be a sound engineer, you need to stop giving bad advice here. a sound engineer will never advise somebody to use speakers with severe resonating problems against one that give you the best sound for the dollar.

I did not advise against anything that would be within his budget.
My background as sound engineer makes me aware of technical issues but this does not mean I would recommend everyone polk audio speakers.
You see, some people prefer to buy a car and then what's left goes towards speakers. Not the other way round. I think telling them to buy polk speakers or similar is BS ;)

That's to start with. I am happy for your long lasting affair with polk and the likes the truth is they never cost below $200. This was the budget, wasnt it?

If you are looking for absolute transparency in audio reproduction you don't but cheap near fields either. Nothing against M-Audio BX5A Active Monitor but I used and actually still use similar speakers and they are bound to lack bass. This is why I check my mixes with a multimedia set. Not that it is better but it gives me an idea how the mix translates on mainstream speakers.

BS. you know very little about speaker if you say this. you've just generalized every speaker ever made. this all depends on the speaker maker. each has their own design and compromises when they make their speaker. Example Allison acoustics use to design their speakers for the sweet spot whereas Polk audio SDA speakers were stereo everywhere. they had a special design that eliminate crosstalk.

How can two individual speaker eliminate cross talk? I understand cross talk in sound cards, cables, amps, but how in the name of holy dolly can 2 speakers elimianate crosstalk? You mean speakers A senses what speaker B outputs and this is being removed from speaker A? I am sure I am too ignorant for you to bother to answer. Just ignore my comment and copy paste a few more pictures of POLK Audio speakers. This is helpful.

I did not advise against anything that would be within his budget.
My background as sound engineer makes me aware of technical issues but this does not mean I would recommend everyone polk audio speakers.
You see, some people prefer to buy a car and then what's left goes towards speakers. Not the other way round. I think telling them to buy polk speakers or similar is BS ;)

That's to start with. I am happy for your long lasting affair with polk and the likes the truth is they never cost below $200. This was the budget, wasnt it?

If you are looking for absolute transparency in audio reproduction you don't but cheap near fields either. Nothing against M-Audio BX5A Active Monitor but I used and actually still use similar speakers and they are bound to lack bass. This is why I check my mixes with a multimedia set. Not that it is better but it gives me an idea how the mix translates on mainstream speakers.

I really don't understand this. the polk were bought up as an example of a manufacturer engineering design on beaming (what you said all monitors do) or spaciousness, they were not refer for anything else

How can two individual speaker eliminate cross talk? I understand cross talk in sound cards, cables, amps, but how in the name of holy dolly can 2 speakers elimianate crosstalk? You mean speakers A senses what speaker B outputs and this is being removed from speaker A? I am sure I am too ignorant for you to bother to answer. Just ignore my comment and copy paste a few more pictures of POLK Audio speakers. This is helpful.

each row of the outside speaker in the cabinet are wire out of phrase and attenuated a little (these are supplied with a cord that you have to hook up to both speakers). what this does is give you a surround sound (dolby pro logic) effect from only 2 speakers without the bad effect of losing bass or using extra speakers boxes in your room. if you research dolby surround it was derive off of a hafler circuit in which the extra rear speaker in the rear of the room, was hook up so that has only the positive leads wire went to the amp (an internally bridged amp or receiver will not work work for this setup) and the negative wire were hooked up to each other (not the amp) and controled by an L pad. this psycho acoustic effect eliminates crosstalk as the same leaking crosstalk of the first 2 speaker is nullified because it is out of phrase, so you won't hear it. we all know that you don't hear out of phrase stuff well. there is more explanation to this, but I suck at typing and I need to make sure that you get this without me spending the next 2 hours here explaining it

here you are comparing studio sound and computer against each other to further your argument but in a contradictory way. no, those m-audio doesn't give you the absolute transparency in audio reproduction. but they sound better than any computer speaker ever will. they also have a subwoofer that goes with it if you want it or you can get you own.

M-AUDIO - BX10s - Professional Active Subwoofer

but they
monitors kick a computer sub but without a sub. you are putting a computer sub (any sub) in a corner with 3-6 reinforced boundaries (you get the higher number of boundaries if they are under a desk), while the monitors are out in the open. that's not a fair comparison. neither is comparing the m-audio to a 3 grand pair of studio monitors either.

I'm sorry but I got a 6-7 grand minimum audio system in the next room. that my x-fi sound card runs an optical out too. So I not spending that much on studio monitors. I've been trying to get my hands on my friend rolands, but we never work a deal out

I'm not going to argue with either of you, because i don't know what crosstalk is in the first place, and even if i did (and i will, 'cus im looking it up) i'm not going to argue, because what's the point..?

I'm not going to argue with either of you, because i don't know what crosstalk is in the first place, and even if i did (and i will, 'cus im looking it up) i'm not going to argue, because what's the point..?

you're right. what's the point of this post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom