Need new speakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
111sins... monitors lacking in bass? You shouldn't be hearing highs, mids or lows with monitors... if your mixes are good, and your monitors are good and properly calibrated (that is with an RTA and measurement mic), then everything will sound completely FLAT. Sure, they may not push a 30hz tone at 110db SPL, but thats where calibration comes into play. Subtractive equalization.

Every speaker is different, performs different, and sounds different. If you check your mixes on multimedia systems, which BOOST bass, then you're EQ's must look like a big ole` smiley face. It should be very intricate with an A-weighted curve.

I am DEFINITELY not against checking mixes on mainstream speakers as I have 4 sets that I check them with... from iPod earbuds to radioshack 3" "full range speaker system" as well as large "HIFI" floor standing sets. It's good to check, but they should also be calibrated to a similar fashion for comparison of mixes. If I check a bass solo on my monitors and it sounds clear but not "punchy" and "lacking", and then I check it on my 15x5x2" floors that have a boost in the lows, of course it may sound better... thats because the speakers aren't calibrated and flat. You want a flat mix so that the mix sounds good on any system. If it sounds bad on the calibrated monitors, then it'll sound bad everywhere else.

111sins... monitors lacking in bass? You shouldn't be hearing highs, mids or lows with monitors... if your mixes are good, and your monitors are good and properly calibrated (that is with an RTA and measurement mic), then everything will sound completely FLAT. Sure, they may not push a 30hz tone at 110db SPL, but thats where calibration comes into play. Subtractive equalization.

Every speaker is different, performs different, and sounds different. If you check your mixes on multimedia systems, which BOOST bass, then you're EQ's must look like a big ole` smiley face. It should be very intricate with an A-weighted curve.

I am DEFINITELY not against checking mixes on mainstream speakers as I have 4 sets that I check them with... from iPod earbuds to radioshack 3" "full range speaker system" as well as large "HIFI" floor standing sets. It's good to check, but they should also be calibrated to a similar fashion for comparison of mixes. If I check a bass solo on my monitors and it sounds clear but not "punchy" and "lacking", and then I check it on my 15x5x2" floors that have a boost in the lows, of course it may sound better... thats because the speakers aren't calibrated and flat. You want a flat mix so that the mix sounds good on any system. If it sounds bad on the calibrated monitors, then it'll sound bad everywhere else.

Exactly

Honestly, I can barely tell the difference between a $400 set and a $4000 set. I know many people say there is a big difference but I just don't see it. I've had a set of Bang & Olufsen (BeoLab 5 - Selling for $22,000 a pair) for a trial period and gave them back because it really didn't do much for my music. And I listen to a lot of music.

I also don't think he's willing to pay much more for speakers than the top Logitech since that's what he's looking at. That's why I recommended them.

lol i would stay out of the audiophile corner of the forums. It can get pretty bad here. I mean if you don't swear by monitors you'll basically get prosecuted. I shouldn't talk crap I mean I just spent a crap load on headphones, but when I go over to my friends house and I listen to his M-Audio's they just don't cut it when I need to hear someone behind me in Multiplayer Call of Duty 4, music is another story they do have good mid's and highs, wouldn't call it superior to the 5500's with a proper set up 5500's can have undistorted sound... but its the always the buyers call, I wouldn't discredit monitors, but I wouldnt swear by them I mean when it comes down to they are for a completely different arena than gaming, well at a certain price range. It all comes down to mulah, in the end Z5500's own!!!

One more thing I might add, I personally like eargazms but at a certain price point. I mean look at the pic that guy posted earlier with those huge speakers or w.e they are. I'd rather have spent that money on a quad 9800 set-up and a dual 30 inch monitor set up but me. I think everyone here should try to remember we all have dif preferences.

lol i would stay out of the audiophile corner of the forums. It can get pretty bad here. I mean if you don't swear by monitors you'll basically get prosecuted. I shouldn't talk crap I mean I just spent a crap load on headphones, but when I go over to my friends house and I listen to his M-Audio's they just don't cut it when I need to hear someone behind me in Multiplayer Call of Duty 4, music is another story they do have good mid's and highs, wouldn't call it superior to the 5500's with a proper set up 5500's can have undistorted sound... but its the always the buyers call, I wouldn't discredit monitors, but I wouldnt swear by them I mean when it comes down to they are for a completely different arena than gaming, well at a certain price range. It all comes down to mulah, in the end Z5500's own!!!

One more thing I might add, I personally like eargazms but at a certain price point. I mean look at the pic that guy posted earlier with those huge speakers or w.e they are. I'd rather have spent that money on a quad 9800 set-up and a dual 30 inch monitor set up but me. I think everyone here should try to remember we all have dif preferences.

but don't you dare say your preference is right when you don't know what you are talking about. you can never make the z5500 have undistorted sound.

how do you fix the those peaks and valleys resonance issues than the z5500 have at every frequency under 200hz? do you dare say an EQ. what about the treble rolloff at 8,000? the impedance peak at 17,000 hz. show their flat response curve from 50-20,000 hz. oh, i forgot. they don't have one

do anybody remember me saying that now these days, that everybody think that they are an expert?

my point exactly. you said that some z5500 sound better than some m-audio speaker. LOL..........

now that's funny

I, personally, am not against 5.1 at all... i'm a huge fan of it. BUT, the problem comes when people that already OWN z5500 want BETTER sound, or they want to listen to MUSIC on REALLY GOOD speakers/headsets, THEN we recommend high-end stuff, and even then, its not really "high-end".. just "high-end" consumer. I always recommend headphones for gaming... like I said earlier... perfect soundstage is created with perfect stereo. Gaming is meant for big booms, shreaks, etc... which is why multimedia speakers are made the way they are... good or not. When someone wants to listen to MUSIC on GOOD equipment, we recommend better stuff. Don't ask for better if you dont wanna pay for better. It's like buying a Ford Aspire and being depressed that it only goes 26.3 mph... you get what you pay for.

but don't you dare say your preference is right when you don't know what you are talking about. you can never make the z5500 have undistorted sound.

how do you fix the those peaks and valleys resonance issues than the z5500 have at every frequency under 200hz? do you dare say an EQ. what about the treble rolloff at 8,000? the impedance peak at 17,000 hz. show their flat response curve from 50-20,000 hz. oh, i forgot. they don't have one

do anybody remember me saying that now these days, that everybody think that they are an expert?

my point exactly. you said that some z5500 sound better than some m-audio speaker. LOL..........

now that's funny

Thank you for understanding Crysalis.

Yeah w/e EricB....my Z5500's sound like crap okay, I don't really care what you're pref is weather its right or wrong. If they sound fine to me thats what matters....I'd like to see you're M Audios replicate 5.1 sound for 500$'s out of the box without any mods. Like Crysalis they are for a whole different arena.

Oh and I know we American's aren't good at discriminating between good and bad audio...I'm sorry I never did say I was an expert....but maybe you should think twice the next you discriminate people next time...I mean after all you are living in America.:D

Thank you for understanding Crysalis.

Yeah w/e EricB....my Z5500's sound like crap okay, I don't really care what you're pref is weather its right or wrong. If they sound fine to me thats what matters....I'd like to see you're M Audios replicate 5.1 sound for 500$'s out of the box without any mods. Like Crysalis they are for a whole different arena.

Oh and I know we American's aren't good at discriminating between good and bad audio...I'm sorry I never did say I was an expert....but maybe you should think twice the next you discriminate people next time...I mean after all you are living in America.:D

you came in an already settled situation and offer your two cents with foodstamps and you pronounce it to be true. it was your opinion. you don't know sound. I don't care if you like them or not. they are crap speaker. your opinion will never change that, we never asked your opinion.

this topic wasn't "do wolfeyes89 like z5500?"

I stated a fact with American about sound. discrimination has nothing to do with it. American is built around materialism. with materialism come marketing. marketers don't care about good sound. they care about making money. they lie and cheat to make money. that's why american don't know good sound. american like bright and booming sound that leads to ear fatigue. you are proving my point exactly

Btw. I have the exact same system hooked up to true 7.1 in the very next room with a 6-8 grand system. you can't put anything up to touch it

1. I'm sorry I never did say I was an expert....

2. but maybe you should think twice the next you discriminate people next time...I mean after all you are living in America.:D

1. Don't act like one then
2. that was a right winger statement. you know where you can take that

here since you seemed to missed the topic. don't offer an expert opinion when you are not an expert by your own admission

I have this 5.1 set of creative speakers right now...for some reason the front left speaker barely gets any sound, and crackles when it does...I hooked up my Sennheiser headset to my sound card, that works fine. I tried switching out the speaker for another one (one of the rear speakers) and still the same thing. I have arrived at the conclusion that my speakers are screwed (I bought them off a friend a year ago for only 25$, had a good run with them for the price.)

I need some new speakers for my PC. I have a Creative X-FI Platinum sound card, and I really can't listen to anything unless it has very good quality. I don't need 5.1 (I'm actually moving soon, and they won't fit in my new room anyway.) I just want 2 speakers and a Sub. Remember though, they need to produce good sound quality. I will only use them for music mostly considering I game with my headset (better for footsteps in CS:S and all that junk.)

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Something within the 200$ range would be nice. (Lower if possible, just bought a new PC for 1500$ and am still feeling that blow to my wallet.)

from another post

we've refer a few people to studio monitors. I haven't heard one complaint yet

you need to crawl back under your rock. you obvious don't now me. I know that most people here don't know about sound. I avoid these topics like the plague because I don't want to offend the people not in the know. but when people are specific about better sound I will tell them

if you do your history, you will see that we use to jump on people that jump on you guys who knew little about audio. 003 use to attack everybody with cheap speakers that din't have a high end sound card. our attitude was " they don't know any better. so why judge them.". We (me, crysalis and molsen) made him cut that stuff out

the problem we have now is people like you who swear that they know more than us. then you guys try to discredit us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom