Is it possible to completely remove Metro from Windows 8?

I honestly don't mind Win8... Been using it since release on TechNet just fine without issue. Same with my wife. I didn't really like the flat UI at first really either...but got used to it and don't really mind it anymore.

I have a similar dark theme on Win8 as I did Win7. Just not as much transparency because of the lack of Aero Glass. I don't see any "harsh" colors from Metro. I don't see the start screen, so layout is the same as Win7, just a flat pallete.

Yea I've looked into it heavily and always check back each month to see if there's any progress. The main problem seems to be DWM and there is no real work around yet. Probably won't be with 9 so close.

I honestly don't mind Win8... Been using it since release on TechNet just fine without issue. Same with my wife. I didn't really like the flat UI at first really either...but got used to it and don't really mind it anymore.
Resistance is futile....You have been assimilated!

Ex7forW8 did replace the Windows 8 gui with a Windows 7 gui but as far as I can tell...it does not work with 8.1. A program called Start is Back is supposed to be the replacement for Ex7forW8 from the same person that created both programs, but it's not free... $3.00
http://startisback.com/#buy-tab

Last edited:
Ex7forW8 did replace the Windows 8 gui with a Windows 7 gui but as far as I can tell...it does not work with 8.1. A program called Start is Back is supposed to be the replacement for Ex7forW8 from the same person that created both programs, but it's not free... $3.00
StartIsBack - real start menu for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

Used Ex7ForW8 before I used Start8; was alright until I found out that swipe gestures were still enabled on my touchpad and couldn't be turned off through the driver I was using, and was causing issues while I was coding (e.g. swiping top-bottom is Start+X shortcut... so I'd always get the start menu popping up and a random 'x' in my development environment which screwed up code).

Back
Top Bottom