Apologies in advance for my English

my computer :
Cpu i5 6600 3.30ghz
Board GA-H170-D3H
Memory total 32 giga DDR4
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
Power supply model vp700p
Something very strange happened to my computer recently,
I didn't make any special changes. Except updating the BIOS version to the newest version.

phenomenon:
Turns on the computer, it turns on normally the first time
After performing a complete shutdown / Restart
The computer turns on and I hear and see the fans working but the screen does not show any display and when you look at the lights of the mouse and keyboard they are not on.
Only when I remove the power cable from the power supply and wait a few hours or press and hold the power button for about 1 or 2 minutes
and turns on the computer, it turns on normally with the screen, keyboard and mouse lights

I am stating here things that I tried to do as tests in an attempt to fix this issue, whether there is a direct connection or just a thought that there might be a connection.

1) I applied a new thermal paste on the processor.
2) I tried to work with another normal screen.
3) I replaced a power cable.
4) I replaced a display cable (display port) that connects from the screen to the video card on the computer.
5) I changed the video card to the same video card
6) I tried to connect directly to the video card on the motherboard.
7) I completely disassembled the entire computer and disconnected all the hard disks that are connected
and all the fans that are connected including a complete disassembly of the power supply
8) I took out all four memory cards that I have in my computer in total
4x8
9) I tried connecting one memory card one by one
And also an experience of connecting a hard disk each in turn.

Even when connecting the computer without hard disks there is no BIOS display

I must point out that when the computer comes on after a power discharge, I can work with it for a full time as long as I haven't turned it off or restarted it. I don't understand what the problem is

I have been very discouraged for over a month now and would appreciate your help to hear about ideas for a solution

At first it's hard to even guess anything, but when I read your description, I understand that after disconnecting the network cable and plugging it back in, you can start the whole computer and everything works. Do I understand correctly?
If so, then the first thing is - maybe your computer does not shut down properly, but some processes remain running in the background.
It could also be related to a BIOS update. I don't know how and what you did, but maybe you interrupted something in the middle of the update process, i.e. the BIOS update must always be followed by the firmware control and, if necessary, the update. Maybe that last part was missed.
Nothing more can be decided or recommended until it is known whether I understood you correctly.

Are you getting a POST screen and can you access your bios settings?
If you did a bios update and can not get it to post or access the bios...congrats on your new boat anchor!

Actually...... if you think you hosed your bios, you might be able to get a new chip. Depends on your motherboard if the bios chip is plugged in or soldered.
https://www.biosflash.com/e/index.htm

There are some other links on that web page that may offer other choices like a usb bios stick that might help you get your pc back up and running

Last edited:
I didn't make any special changes. Except updating the BIOS version to the newest version.
Sounds like after updating the bios the system is unstable and isn't posting at the settings in the bios. After leaving it unplugged then turning it back on it sounds like it posts because it goes into safemode. Manually set appropriate bios settings like CPU voltage, RAM speed, RAM voltage.

Sounds like after updating the bios the system is unstable and isn't posting at the settings in the bios. After leaving it unplugged then turning it back on it sounds like it posts because it goes into safemode. Manually set appropriate bios settings like CPU voltage, RAM speed, RAM voltage.
True.
Mrs. C's pc did an update and the bios lost the boot order for some strange reason. It refused to boot up until I put the Windows drive back into the boot order

Hi, Since you stated above that you updated your BIOS, the most possible reason might be incorrect BIOS configuration. Apart from this, faulty peripheral devices or damaged PSU can also cause no display.

It sounds like you've done thorough troubleshooting, but the issue remains unresolved. Given your efforts, it might be related to the BIOS update. Have you considered downgrading to the previous BIOS version? Maybe try contacting the motherboard manufacturer's support for guidance on potential BIOS-related issues and solutions.

Facing a complex computer issue despite prior troubleshooting attempts can be daunting. To address this problem, particularly after a BIOS update, consider reverting to the previous BIOS version to resolve any compatibility issues that may have arisen.

Replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard can help if it's weak or dead, potentially affecting the boot process. Verify the functionality of your power supply unit (PSU) to rule out any power-related problems. Inspect the motherboard for visible damage and ensure all connections are secure.

Additionally, review BIOS settings, run a memory test, and test the GPU. If problems persist, seek professional assistance for a comprehensive diagnosis and resolution.

Always prioritize safety by discharging static electricity and grounding yourself when working with computer components. If unsure, consult a professional to prevent accidental damage.

Back
Top Bottom