I want to make a website...

With CMS's, you "install" themes and templates to change the design of your site.

You can add/remove certain components (like menu items/sidebar pieces) through the Admin panel, usually.

I have done some research. Drupal and Wordpress seem to not suit my needs as they are extremely restricted. I want some sort of design software that can support huge amounts of content (1000+ pages) and be easy to design and easy to add new entries and pages. Please help.

Weebly is too simple. It doesnt have nearly as much customization as I want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done some research. Drupal and Wordpress seem to not suit my needs as they are extremely restricted. I want some sort of design software that can support huge amounts of content (1000+ pages) and be easy to design and easy to add new entries and pages. Please help.

Weebly is too simple. It doesnt have nearly as much customization as I want.

Restricted how? I've used WordPress on quite a few sites (my own as well as clients) and they've been just fine.

And are you sure you're really going to need "1000+ pages" of content? What kind of content exactly are you talking about? Images/videos hosted directly on the server itself? Just text articles? A mix of images/text? I highly doubt you'll have 1000+ pages of content unless you're trying to make some sort of archive - even then, Wordpress or Drupal would be fine for that as long as you are on a good hosting service.

It wouldn't necessarily be the engine holding you back for a lot of content, but rather the server you're running on, which is controlled by the host you're on.

The problem is Drupal and Wordpress are being for forums and blogs respectively. I am making a website that is an informational archive. I am sure it will have 1000+ pages. What I meant by restricted was that you are set to the themes and fonts they provide you. Wordpress is meant for small-medium size sites. Mine can definitely classified as a large site. Drupal has only one font choice and horrible customization. What i meant by engine was software like Adobe Dreamweaver or Adobe Muse or Sitespinner. After about 100 pages Adobe would probably crash or freeze on me. Plus with these softwares it won't be easy to add content to my website without having to reupload the whole file to the server.

I would just like to thank you all for helping me so far. :D

The problem is Drupal and Wordpress are being for forums and blogs respectively. I am making a website that is an informational archive. I am sure it will have 1000+ pages. What I meant by restricted was that you are set to the themes and fonts they provide you. Wordpress is meant for small-medium size sites. Mine can definitely classified as a large site. Drupal has only one font choice and horrible customization. What i meant by engine was software like Adobe Dreamweaver or Adobe Muse or Sitespinner. After about 100 pages Adobe would probably crash or freeze on me. Plus with these softwares it won't be easy to add content to my website without having to reupload the whole file to the server.

I would just like to thank you all for helping me so far. :D

Fonts/images/themes can be customized with CSS. WP has tons of themes that are very customizable. Wordpress can be used for more than just blogs. Like I said, I've used WP to setup a client's website where they don't know how to code, but want to be able to add pages easily without having to pay me to add more pages. They can just click add, type their content, and click save. Done. Some examples of large places that use WordPress as their backend: Notable WordPress Users — WordPress.com
40+ Most Notable Big Name Brands that are Using WordPress

Dreamweaver is used to start making sites from scratch - it's best if you know HTML/CSS/JavaScript if you want to use something like DW.

You don't load every page all at once in website creators such as DreamWeaver. You would create a base template that each page inherits off of, and then you would create on page at a time based on that template you create, and upload said page(s) to your webserver via FTP. You would only be uploading pages you change or add, not EVERY file each time you change something on the site.

If you don't want to use a CMS, and don't want to learn proper website development, then you'd be better off hiring a professional. However, this will cost you quite a bit, depending on how much you want done to begin with, howe easy you want it to be to add pages later, and who is available. For 12 pages with static content, expect to pay at least $1k to $2k and up. More with dynamic content.

You still haven't said what kind of content is going to be there - text, images, video?

The content on the page will be images and text mixed. Ill check out Wordpress. However would it be easy to convert from wordpress to a standalone if the site were to become large enough? Im more open to coding now, but the only issue is time constraints. I don't really want to spend hours trying to code in Javascript just to have a little animation.

The content on the page will be images and text mixed. Ill check out Wordpress. However would it be easy to convert from wordpress to a standalone
Simply put...no. Once you choose a CMS, you generally want to stick with that backend. Unless you're having major issues, then you'd have to develop alongside your currently running site and then switch over during non-peak times. Your site is still "standalone". You're not relying on Wordpress's servers - only your webhost's servers. The only thing that you're relying on Wordpress for is your website software's backend - which they provide updates to for free.

if the site were to become large enough?
I highly doubt your site will become larger than some of the Fortune 500 sites I linked to ;). E.g. BestBuy, PlayStation's, Time, etc. The only issue I see if your site becomes very large is if your host's servers can handle the storage space, or handle the traffic load if there is heavy traffic to/from your server.

Im more open to coding now, but the only issue is time constraints. I don't really want to spend hours trying to code in Javascript just to have a little animation.

Coding takes time. Hence why it's so expensive to hire professionals to create websites for you. All depends on what you want.

Back
Top Bottom