Game of the Year

Going against the grind of many here but bear with me.

PGOTY:
Metro: Last Light - I absolutely loved Metro 2033 and admitted it had some serious flaws. I believe Last Light improved on almost all flaws or at least touched base on them all and then some. The graphics are amazing on PC and I highly enjoy the post-apocalyptic scenario games like STALKER. This is my personal GOTY simply because it's the only game I sat down and played through almost literally in one sitting.

Honorable mentions:
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Love this game and it has replaced A Link to the Past as my top favorite Zelda game because they recreated the magic of the first adding extra elements that are super fun. Not a fan of handhelds, but this game is great. Played with 3D off though, cause the implementation was terrible IMO.

Crysis 3 - Best of the series IMO and is stunning to look at. A different approach at a shoot-em-up. Just a fun no brainer to just run and gun in which I enjoy every once in a while.

Farcry 3 Blood Dragon - Yea, this game was hilarious, fun, and didn't require the main game so I purchased it super cheap. Don't really need to say more.

Most Disappointing - (Don't hate) Battlefield 4. Yes, this game actually has improved on BF3 in many ways but I still think it's too soon and can argue till I'm blue in the face about their DLC ********. It's fun, but on a personal level it's very disappointing to me because it wasn't that jump up like 1942 to 2 to 3. No I wasn't expecting a **** ton of improvement graphically or anything, but IMO still not a 60+ (100+ for Premium) dollar game to me. Just try to remember, that's just my personal opinion and I'm a huge Battlefield fan.

If you're wondering why I didn't mention the usuals.

Infinite, not a fan of the Bioshock series. I have tried to play all 3 and didn't get very far in either of them.
GTA V, again, not a fan of the series. Last GTA I really played was 3 and only ever installed 4 to benchmark it.
Any console exclusive....I don't play consoles lol and don't own a PS3.
Tomb Raider, I just could not get into this game. It was probably because I was dealing with a lot of crap at the time and at a later date will try again.

Last edited:
I always feel bad with these lists because I haven't played everything. Last Of Us, for example, is still wrapped.

Thus, I just talk about my favorites.

Favorite FPS: Bioshock Infinite. I wish it had less violence in it because the amount of killing gets numbing after a while, but that game sparked some bonkers discussions on this forum about quantum mechanics. I had as much fun talking about it as I did playing it.

Favorite open world game: Assassin's Creed 4. I could care less about the present-day storyline, I just want to plunder and pillage. To me, it's the best pirate game since Sid Meier's Pirates (Port Royale was sort of okay, and I never touched Risen 2) and reminded me how much I've missed capturing ships. It also made me long to play Taipan again.

Favorite platformer: Terraria. I suspect this was actually released for consoles in 2012, but it quickly became my favorite platformer (along with whatever hyphenated game type you'd like to add to it) of the year. My gf enjoyed it so much that she would research things for me while I dig-dugged around.

I'm sure I'm missing some games that I fell in love with, but these are the ones that spring to mind.

For me, it would have to be Borderlands 2, BioShock Infinite and DeusEx Human Revolution Directors Cut.

reminded me how much I've missed capturing ships. It also made me long to play Taipan again.

lol. This post has just made me wonder if my dad still has a working Apple II with I can fire up.
Might as well do Sun Tzu Art Of War or Art Of War at Sea.

For me, it would have to be Borderlands 2, BioShock Infinite and DeusEx Human Revolution Directors Cut.

lol. This post has just made me wonder if my dad still has a working Apple II with I can fire up.
Might as well do Sun Tzu Art Of War or Art Of War at Sea.

Actually, Taipan is online now - taipangame.com, I think. The scaling is off a bit (I was running into 160-ship fleets VERY early on in the game) as are the commands and flee odds (you used to be able to dump cargo and at least ditch part of a pursuing fleet), but it's there.

2013 Games I really want to play. (eventually)
DMC
Tomb Raider
Last Of Us
Dragons Crown
Ni No Kuni
A Link Between Worlds
Fire Emblem:Awakeing
Mario 3d World
GTA V
Far Cry 3
And prob many more

Back