Grub Error 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjølen

Baseband Member
Greetings! Recently, I've been having a Grub error 22 boot message. I believe this is the remnants of a failed Linux removal.At any rate, I cannot get into my Vista bootloader beyond that unless I have the Vista CD in the drive while booting, which seems to bypass the broken grub. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to safely remove grub and fix my Vista booting process without having to reinstall any operating systems? (already tried Vista's startup recovery in the install CD and EasyBCD to rewrite the bootloader)

Did you even BOTHER to check that link? It gives you more than just the CS method to repair the boot loader.

YES SERIOUSLY.

Check the link before you criticize. Might prove to be helpful. Also it is known that most of the time the FIRST attempt fails. Did you try it more than once?

You are the one asking for help. You really should patronize those who are trying to help.

Awesome :) I love teh drama :)

Anyway, I would also suggest reading the contents of the link provided. Either that or burn a GParted live CD from an ISO ... boot from that and choose "Boot from primary partition" from now until you decide to read the contents of the link provided.

Can't hurt... It's a WIN/WIN and it's free and fun for the whole family

Can also try a Super GRUB disc as well. Or the Super Boot Disk.

BTW Mike love the new ToV site. Looks great. Signed up over there already. :)

Did you even BOTHER to check that link? It gives you more than just the CS method to repair the boot loader.

YES SERIOUSLY.

Check the link before you criticize. Might prove to be helpful. Also it is known that most of the time the FIRST attempt fails. Did you try it more than once?

You are the one asking for help. You really should patronize those who are trying to help.

Yeah, I was mildly irritated when I read the post so I decided to check the link to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding. I have even read through the individual articles on the site.The link gives me a walkthrough on two things: Recovering the bootloader with the Windows Vista CD or with EasyBCD. I still don't see how that is not exactly what I said I'd already done (Yes, multiple times).

And Dr. IP, using a live CD to get into Windows for a temporary fix is no different than just having the Vista CD in the drive while booting.

Did you check the Vista Disc? It has command line stuff in that part of the wiki on how to use the command line to fix it. Not jsut trying to use the Disc but the command line features of the disc. From what you are saying you only tried to use the disc itself and not all the features that the disc has to offer.

I also posted 2 more options as well.

Super Grub Disk Webpage
Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

That is the reason why i said to read the link. It offered more than jsut insert CD use the Startup repair feature. So you are telling me that you tried teh manual fix with Step 3 and the Nuclear Holocaust step 4 information? If so then your boot is gone and no way to fix it.

And Dr. IP, using a live CD to get into Windows for a temporary fix is no different than just having the Vista CD in the drive while booting.

I had a similar "Failed to load Grub Error 22" for about a month. I couldn't work on it for a while so I used Gparted to "Boot OS on Primary Partition" like I stated and it worked just fine. But it was a XP/Ubuntu BL. Anyway, it worked great for me until I was able to sit down and re-evaluate and fix the problem ... Only reason why I mentioned it.

I added the remarks after it was only because the double quote with the ***hat comment ... something I would say :) I read through the link and there was content there that you never mentioned trying .

Can also try a Super GRUB disc as well. Or the Super Boot Disk.

BTW Mike love the new ToV site. Looks great. Signed up over there already. :)

Thanks for the feedback Mak. Still needs A LOT of work... LOL
Most of the thanks needs to go out to Havoc, Molsen and FlashDude though. I was away when most of the work was done.

I always use the Vista CD. I don't have a real Vista DVD (stupid Recovery CD's from HP) but I downloaded the "Vista Recovery CD" (it's the Vista DVD with only the files needed to run the recovery console, not the install itself). Pop that in, click Recovery, and it has an automatic fix that repairs the boot process, worked every time I tried it (overwrote GRUB, Windows XP's boot process).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom