Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
By a ton. I think you guys are over looking exactly how much more horsepower this GPU will have over the current 360 GPU.
Which is kinda besides the point. The technology we have right now allows them to use a significantly better one than the 6670 while still not being very expensive or power consuming.

And then people would ***** because the new 720 will be 600 dollars. If you're a PC gamer then you shouldn't be complaining what hardware is in the next consoles unless it continued the already dead DX9.

The past proves otherwise. Latest and greatest led to high prices upon release along with tons of problems. This wouldn't be the latest and greatest but putting high priced GPUs in consoles has already proven high prices period. If they can get their money, they will. I'm sure even with a 6670 the price will be high so putting something higher will only raise that price.

The past proves otherwise.
The PS3 has a Geforce 7900-based GPU, and was made at a time when the 7900 was the high-end card of the time.
xbox360 has an x1800-based GPU, which was also ATI's high-end card at the time.

The GPU's at the time for the xbox360/PS3 would be more analogous to putting in a 7970/GTX 680 for consoles released in the next year.

a 6870 is a mid-range card that doesn't cost nearly as much as the 7900/x1800 series did. Plus we have a smaller manufacturing process ready now they can use.

6670 is just low-end.

And still miles ahead of an X1800. Your point? I would rather it still be a good console while keeping the price low just in case I decide to buy it. Even if it is a midrange card it will still be more expensive to mass produce than a 6670 therefor making the console itself cost more.

And still miles ahead of an X1800. Your point? I would rather it still be a good console while keeping the price low just in case I decide to buy it. Even if it is a midrange card it will still be more expensive to mass produce than a 6670 therefor making the console itself cost more.
My point is you can get far better cost/performance, right now.

Yes, a 6670 costs less. So does an Intel Atom. Should they go with that?

I'm not exactly saying they should go with a 7970. A 6870 is a pretty cheap card.

I don't think they are actually going to put a 6670 in it. It's just a rumor. I'd say the chances of a 6870 are much more probable in actuality. Remember, console manufacturers usually take a significant loss in the beginning. And with the price point Apokalipse speculated on, they could have a 6870, price the console at $400 like the last one, and still not take a loss. The rest of the hardware isn't going to cost that much. Ram is extremely cheap. I'm expecting 4GB for sure. I don't see why they waste all that money with super high end cpus. It's stupid. I'll expect something moderate quad core, AMD based of course. Remember, the costs M$ will be paying for everything will be much lower than what consumers pay. I just refuse to believe they will put a 6670 in there. It goes against logic. I wouldn't think AMD would even be very happy about that since it will hurt gpu sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom