Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol if you noticed I quit replying so we were in agreement. I think we can both at least agree on the fact that even if it isn't as powerful as one would hope, it is still going to up the standard in graphics for everything by a huge margin (DX11). That was just my final point because I could care less about console graphics. I doubt I will even own any of the new generation.

The 560 would be too hot to strap in a tiny box.

They could also stick a lil' rad and pump in there too, you know. :wink_tongue:

I would have thought it should have at least a 6870. I mean they aren't even very expensive, and with 28nm manufacturing available now they could be made very low power, and wouldn't need a lot of cooling.
And while they're at it, 2GB vRAM shouldn't be a real issue. I mean they can put 2GB vRAM on a radeon 5450 and charge $50 for it.

I would have thought it should have at least a 6870. I mean they aren't even very expensive, and with 28nm manufacturing available now they could be made very low power, and wouldn't need a lot of cooling.
Plus they'll be making a good several million at least of the new 360, that ought to drive down the per-unit cost considerably.

I just feel like it isn't too much to ask for the new console to overpower my 3 year old pc, almost 5 year old pc by the time this comes out. And yeah, it is the hardware's fault we don't get native 1080p. We have it on pc. We just don't have it on consoles because they don't have enough power to display the quality that is being developed for 720p in 1080p.

And I am aware that this will be a significant improvement over the last console generation, but it isn't enough of an improvement. As I stated before, the the current generation at least used current hardware.

The one major factor everyone seems to be forgetting in all of this. You have to market the console for EVERYONE. Meaning that you have to keep costs DOWN. Putting a GFX card in there that right now costs $200 on the market is not going to allow them to offer the XBOX 720 at a price that will allow it to compete and sell. Especially in today market.

Anyone remember when the PS3 first came out and tried to sell at $600? It got killed by poor sales. Do you really think that putting a high end GFX card in there and boasting the price up of the new unit to $400 or more is going to get people to want to buy it?

So what if it doesnt over power your 3 year old PC? Here is a clue, it isnt supposed to!

They can get the 6670's at $50 a piece and allow them to build a unit that is cost effective and be able to be mass produced. It will still be tons better than the current XBOX and on top of that, it will allow it to come to market at about the same price as the current XBOX or maybe $100 more. That will get people to want to buy the unit. Not having the latest and greatest video card will.

If they can get the XBOX to hit the market at the crrent XBOX 360 250GB Kinet Bundle price of $399 or maybe $50 more, they will be able to have a selling point and move units. Having it be top end and put in hardware that cant be massed produced to the extent the XBOX is needed will only cause the unit to sell for more. Then giving everyone a reason to gripe and complain cause it costs $600 and they are sold out everywhere all the time.

Be happy they are trying to produce a unit that can be massed produced to be available and at a price that wont mean having to get a mortgage to get one.

It costs $160 for a 40nm 6870 right now - and that's retail price, the price we the consumers pay.

It would cost less to manufacture an integrated console version of it, and if they make it on 28nm that would also lower costs (and power consumption). I'm gonna guess actual manufacturing cost would be roughly $80-100 for about a 6870 level 28nm GPU + PCB components. I don't think that would be too much at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom