Xbox 360 E74 Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rock

In Runtime
My Xbox 360 started giving me an e74 error, are there any ways to fix this without sending it to microsoft and paying $100?

Thanks.

My xbox 360 just started giving me an e74 error. Since it is broken is there anything I can do with it so that I can use it for something else?

Such as:
Turning it into a computer or anything like that?

Plenty of YouTube tutorials on possible ways to fix it; biggest one I believe is re-flowing the board but not a guarantee fix.

I remember my friend would get this often, and would usually end up wrapping it up in a towel while the Xbox was on, and let it run for a few hours. Then he would turn it off, unwrap it, and let it cool down then try it.

I also replaced the X clamps on one of my friend's systems which helped for a while, until it gave out again.

Either way: there's not permanent solution to it.

One of them was for uses if i can't fix it and one is for how to fix it if possible. Two different topics.

Ya I tried wrapping it in blankets for 20 minutes. I will retry it for a couple hours, and see if that works. I wasn't sure if there was any other solutions....

Re: Xbox 360 Uses After Broken

They're close enough that they can be the same topic. Both related to e74 error.

Instructibles.com has a few articles about it, but it requires opening the 360 and adjusting the heatsinks. Whenever I do the towel trick it never works for more than a couple hours for me... :confused: eh, they're in pieces in my closet now :tongue:

Instructibles.com has a few articles about it, but it requires opening the 360 and adjusting the heatsinks.

That's what I had to do to my friend's. Opened it up, and put new bolts on the clamps that hold the heatsinks down. Worked for several months then went out again. Towel trick wouldn't work for him anymore either.

The towel trick is retarded. When you overheat to "reflow" the chips you are also burning up other components in the box as well. Your best bet is to do 4 things at once. Do NOT over heat it. You are just damaging it more. First thing to do, X Clamp mod. Second, 12v fan mod. Third, heat gun and try reflowing (watch instructionals to do this), 4th penny trick on ANA chip after reflow to keep the chip pressed on the board. All of this without a towel trick has kept my Elite running since December after it died. Do all of this at your own risk though. Nothing is guaranteed to fix a RRoD box or e74 error.

so assuming i cna't get it fixed is there anything useful I can do with the xbox?

Is it possible to turn the Xbox 360 into a media center some how, or install some different software on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom