Skyrim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, it seems Skyrim has problems with crossfire scaling, and as a result I have to disable crossfire for it to run smooth. However, it runs pretty smooth with one 5870 at ultra with 8x AA, 16x AF. Worst case I get is around 45 fps. I noticed a problem right away when the game was running at 15 fps at the intro. Exited the game, turned off crossfire and it went up to 50 fps. This is dissapointing but hopefully ATI will release something to fix it. I have looked around for possible fixes and so far I haven't found anything, though I am going to try a beta driver and see how it works.

As far as crashing, I hadn't had problems for the first 12 hours of gameplay. However, starting earlier in the day I noticed a lot of crashing to desktops. I have confirmed this with my friends who are also experiencing crash issues. One said he didn't have problems on the first day he played, but as he progressed it got worse. This is similar to my experience. Often it crashes after fast traveling (for all of us), and it seems the instability occurs as you progress through a game.

I am very pleased however to see it run smoother than Oblivion while looking better as well. The story and setting is a lot better than Oblivion from what I can tell, though I do miss the RPG elements that Morrowind offered, but it doesn't surprise me that they wanted to move TES to a more "friendly" system. Besides the lack of crossfire support and the crashing here and there, I am enjoying the game.

Currently, it seems Skyrim has problems with crossfire scaling, and as a result I have to disable crossfire for it to run smooth. However, it runs pretty smooth with one 5870 at ultra with 8x AA, 16x AF. Worst case I get is around 45 fps. I noticed a problem right away when the game was running at 15 fps at the intro. Exited the game, turned off crossfire and it went up to 50 fps. This is dissapointing but hopefully ATI will release something to fix it. I have looked around for possible fixes and so far I haven't found anything, though I am going to try a beta driver and see how it works.

As far as crashing, I hadn't had problems for the first 12 hours of gameplay. However, starting earlier in the day I noticed a lot of crashing to desktops. I have confirmed this with my friends who are also experiencing crash issues. One said he didn't have problems on the first day he played, but as he progressed it got worse. This is similar to my experience. Often it crashes after fast traveling (for all of us), and it seems the instability occurs as you progress through a game.

I am very pleased however to see it run smoother than Oblivion while looking better as well. The story and setting is a lot better than Oblivion from what I can tell, though I do miss the RPG elements that Morrowind offered, but it doesn't surprise me that they wanted to move TES to a more "friendly" system. Besides the lack of crossfire support and the crashing here and there, I am enjoying the game.
There are quite a few things you can do to make Crossfire work, or if anything make your performance in single card even better. First and formost, disable Vsync via INI (can be found easily by Google if you don't know your way around TES INI files). For Crossfire profiling simply rename your Skyrim launcher to Fallout3. There are also quite a few INI tweaks that improve performance. I found it easier to simply set the shadows to High instead of Ultra. Looks better and performs better IMO.

As a heads up, Skyrim's main quest line doesn't function quite like Oblivion's. You'll notice in the earlier stages of it, dragons will begin appearing in yes, unlimited numbers. However, completing the main quest line does not cause the dragons to stop coming. Once you pass the stage where a dragon attacks Kynesgrove, you will have dragons thrown at you for the rest of your characters adventuring career.

As a heads up, Skyrim's main quest line doesn't function quite like Oblivion's. You'll notice in the earlier stages of it, dragons will begin appearing in yes, unlimited numbers. However, completing the main quest line does not cause the dragons to stop coming. Once you pass the stage where a dragon attacks Kynesgrove, you will have dragons thrown at you for the rest of your characters adventuring career.
That is a good thing. Unlimited gold and XP supply.

well, was hoping the 11.11 catalyst driver would magically fix fps fluctuations but it made it even worse. fps went from lowest of 35 in cities down to 20. and it doesnt look like bethesda is coming out with a compatibility patch anytime soon. rolled back to 11.10

Been playing for the past few days. Running on maxed out settings and have had no major issues yet. Only bug I've come across so far was a random event in which a wooly mammoth dropped out of the sky while I was out running around the continent and proceeded to rape me(figuratively speaking), it was hilarious however so I did not get too upset. Got about 6-7 hours logged and I'm loving the game so far, might even post screens later if I'm not feeling too lazy.

Oh and my system is..

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
60GB Corsair Force 3 GT SSD
8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill ddr3 1600mhz
XFX HD6970
Corsair H80 cpu cooler
Coolermaster HAF-932 advanced
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I play it close to max on my GTX 460 and don't get any lag. The general rule is if you can play Oblivion on max at at least 60 fps, you should be able to play Skyrim at at least 30 fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom