Piracy reason PC gaming is dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, with the way things have been going, the future of pc gaming and game production is on a slippery slope.

After the companies react to the pirating of their software with knee-jerk policies and solutions, more people who HAD been buying the games get ****ed off at all the restrictions and requirements. More people pirating. And of course, when that gets presented to the gaming company CEOs they react even more, and more restrictions get introduced.

Now we're at the point where most games require internet activation, steam accounts, and restrict the number of installations you can do. It's no wonder the industry is heading where it is.

Honestly pretty much every game pirate I know is a person who would would not buy the game in the first place, more often than not because they cannot afford to; therefore they actually have no affect on overall sales of PC games.

Honestly pretty much every game pirate I know is a person who would would not buy the game in the first place, more often than not because they cannot afford to; therefore they actually have no affect on overall sales of PC games.

As I said earlier, they still spend money to make the game.

Just because I go to wal-mart and steal clothes because I can't afford it does not mean they aren't losing money. "Well I wouldn't of spent it in the first place", oh well..they spent money to make it so there for you cost them money. Even if they didn't profit from it, you still took their investment.

I completely agree with soulphire. Companies react, then the consumer reacts, then the company reacts again. It's a never ending change until they find a way to completely stop pirates or they pull out of the PC market.

I'm not in the business, but it seems to me today's profits are coming from monthly fee's such as WOW. 10 million players $15 per month. I'm glad there weren't any fee's for bf2. I purchased 2 at $40 per because someone burned a bad graphics hack onto my first cd remotely. I don't leave cd's in my burner anymore.

I very rarely touch any computer games because I have no interest in them....
I used to enjoy quite a few titles for the pc before the end of 2001, nowaway days I find junk that's not my style... pretty much I prefer rom's but we won't ever go there on that matter and won't go any futher than that.

Why won't Game Developers or software developers ask us what we want and what is really fair or understanding about pricing ?
You wanna know why torrents have so many bootlegs and such on sites ? people just don't want to pay for something right away and be disappointed with their purchase and not be able to get a refund.
Companys that say they will offer a refund if the customer is not happy with games or due to craptastic problems with pc games and don't back up their word are fulll of ****!

I know piracy isn't either. And Jack's video makes a good point even if he's not being 100% serious about it. Once they lose so much they won't have a reason to continue. Then when that happens, the company falls apart and no more games. I'm aware too that all the "money loses" are theoretical , but if a million people pirate a $50 game you can't tell me that's not a possible $50million the game developers would of had. You can't just say "well they wouldn't of paid anyway so it's not really money lost" because they still spent money to produce it.

Yeah, I can tell you that they didn't lose 50 million, because it's no guarantee they would have had it in the first place. Sure, they put money into it. That's Exhibit A. Exhibit B is the money they make from it. So B minus A = profit. A is already defined before the game is even released, and it can't be changed regardless. So it really has no bearing in the first place. If a person plays a game, it's not like there's some magical counter that goes "BING 50 bucks!"

Also, I thought people creating things not because it's supposed to make boat loads of money, but because it's something they actually want to do. Which is the motivation in the first place. Like why people make freeware games.

Just because I go to wal-mart and steal clothes because I can't afford it does not mean they aren't losing money. "Well I wouldn't of spent it in the first place", oh well..they spent money to make it so there for you cost them money. Even if they didn't profit from it, you still took their investment.

Well first off, wal-mart purchases the clothes for the specific reason of selling, so technically, the companies already have their money when the order is placed. Then you're just stealing from wal-mart, the bane of retail. ;) And how is that so bad?

In the end, lofty ideals mean nothing. Reality is everything. The reality is that piracy will always happen. People will find a way. Like when the Wii finally patched the "Twilight Hack", they found a way around it and people still have hacked Wii's on the newer firmware. Same with the PSP, the iPhone, with operating systems, with EVERYTHING. No matter what these companies do, it's going to happen. In the end, all they are doing is ****ing off legit buyers with countermeasures.

That being said, I'd like to see ONE legit example of a company going under in the past couple decades due to piracy and not because they peddle inferior products.

For example, look at Ion Storm...what games did they make that didn't completely suck, unless you like Dues Ex? (also, what other company spent as much money as they did on themselves and still made crappy games?) These are the people partly responsible for Daikatana for crying out loud. Ironically, I doubt much of their stuff got pirated at all considering it was mostly crap. So I guess the moral of the story is companies should make crappier games as a counter measure to piracy. Makes sense.

Wait, what?

Piracy does hurt sales. No one can deny that fact. It is stealing something that should have cost you money and made a profit for the seller. Pirating a game hurts the company that made it.

With that said, many companies are putting out crap games. This hurts their sales, too, and drives away their customer base. A console port is a console port is a console port and they all suck. An extremely short game should not cost $40, $50, $60, nor should one that looks and plays like a 10 year old made it. And everyone is tired of yet another rehash of the same old thing, a carbon copy of half the games out there already.

Both of these factors are hurting the PC game market. Both sides want to point fingers, but the blame falls on both. Many game companies won't put in the time and money needed for a truyl great game because they will lose potential sales due to piracy, and pirates won't buy a game if they can possibly get it for free. It is a viscous circle with no winner, only losers.

Thankfully some game companies are still willing to make and publish good games. These are getting fewer and fewer as they keep getting bought out (or forced out) by the big boys.

um, ok. I seem to remember a similar thread going exactly this decision, and it's locked.

If nobody pirated anything then gaming would be a more fun and easy experience for everyone. Don't blame it on crappy games, don't blame it on companies. Piracy was started by people to stingy/lazy to buy the game they wanted.

I'm sure piracy was actually started far earlier than that, not to mention started for different reasons. I mean look at don't copy that floppy; they thought that people pirated because they didn't think there was any harm in making one copy. And I wouldn't call people who are too broke to be able to afford things yet want to still have fun stingy or lazy...bills take priority over games.

Yeh, Piracy can hurt profits if..say someone who pirated a game could and would actually buy the game if say piracy didn't exist. I don't think that people who can't really afford games are hurting profit..cause they wouldn't be buying them anyways...so how can you even tell how bad piracy is hurting a companies profit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom