Jury rules against Minn. woman in download case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hefemeister

Lord Techie,
Jury rules against Minn. woman in download case - Yahoo! News

MINNEAPOLIS – A replay of the nation's only file-sharing case to go to trial has ended with the same result — a Minnesota woman was found to have violated music copyrights and must pay huge damages to the recording industry.

A federal jury ruled Thursday that Jammie Thomas-Rasset willfully violated the copyrights on 24 songs, and awarded recording companies $1.92 million, or $80,000 per song.

$80,000 per song. Wow.

What?! That's ridiculous. Sure, she should be punished, but $80,000 per song is just... aweful. At least she can settle for $5000.

yea $80,000 is a bit much. i could understand $1-2 per song or a bit more..but wow lol. Oh well serves her right..she should of just settled with them like they wanted to :\

Yea, I just read that story. Total BS if you ask me. How is a mother (single?) of 4 supposed to pay almost $2M?

This case was the only one of more than 30,000 similar lawsuits to make it all the way to trial. The vast majority of people targeted by the music industry had settled for about $3,500 each. The recording industry has said it stopped filing such lawsuits last August and is instead now working with Internet service providers to fight the worst offenders.
They stopped these ridiculous lawsuits because it's an extremely expensive way to try and prove a point.

The RIAA wants to "send a message". And they have... they are bloodthirsty pirates themselves.

What is it with the past few days and the world being full of moronic idiots?

I had declared June 18th International Retarded Monkey day, but I think I have to amend this to making it whole week "The Week of the Morons that School Forgot".

She noted that the $1.92 million was not a figure requested by the industry. "That was not our number, that was what 12 regular folks rendered," she said of the jury, adding that the industry remains open to settling the case with Thomas-Rasset.

It wasn't even the riaa that set it.

Went from 222k to 1.9mil!

yha kmote.. It was something insane like 2 or 3 THOUSAND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom