Intel bans Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
SLI is not really the issue here. What percentage of computer users use SLI, or CrossFire for that matter? You would not have to use all the fingers of one hand to show us.

The meat of the matter is that Intel is not allowing Nvidia to make chipsets for it, PERIOD. The main money is in the motherboard chipsets, not the SLI chips or even the GFX cards. Most computer users do not have a discreet GFX card and never will.

Every motherboard has to have a chipset to work. If Intel cuts Nvidia out of that market, beginning with Nehalem, they could prevent Nvidia from making any more Intel chipsets from here on out.

Think about it. Intel has the money and resources to reverse-engineer SLI and make their own version to work with their forthcoming GFX cards. Intel owns the majority of the x86 market, and companies are constantly replacing older rigs with new setups. If Intel is the only one making chipsets for their stuff, each purchase will be a double or triple sale for Intel... CPU, chipset, GFX.

It now remains to be seen how well Intel's GFX will actually be.

nvidia should just start building their own x86 cpus. They'd be great at it I'm sure...

ha you think Intel would fork over a x86 license to nvidia when they won't let them make chipsets for their new platform?

SLI is not really the issue here. What percentage of computer users use SLI, or CrossFire for that matter? You would not have to use all the fingers of one hand to show us.

The meat of the matter is that Intel is not allowing Nvidia to make chipsets for it, PERIOD. The main money is in the motherboard chipsets, not the SLI chips or even the GFX cards. Most computer users do not have a discreet GFX card and never will.

Every motherboard has to have a chipset to work. If Intel cuts Nvidia out of that market, beginning with Nehalem, they could prevent Nvidia from making any more Intel chipsets from here on out.

Think about it. Intel has the money and resources to reverse-engineer SLI and make their own version to work with their forthcoming GFX cards. Intel owns the majority of the x86 market, and companies are constantly replacing older rigs with new setups. If Intel is the only one making chipsets for their stuff, each purchase will be a double or triple sale for Intel... CPU, chipset, GFX.

It now remains to be seen how well Intel's GFX will actually be.

the issue is all about SLI here, on the Intel platform, ATI can be crowned the best performing graphics since they can go multiple gpus. Nvidia can go AMD, mabye worry about getting bottlenecked my AMD's cpus, or make a super single GPU like the upcoming GTX 280 placed on an Intel platform. But promoting AMD's products? they will be helping their arch rival (ATI).

With all that stuff about Nvidia bashing Intel, i'm not surpised this happened. Nvidia was provoking Intel the whole time. You awken the lion, now you face the claws, deal with it. Fork over the SLI license to Intel and you have a chance to keep the performance crown.

Intel controls almost 50% of the GPU market in desktops. This includes IGPs and mobile graphics btw. Since ATI is now AMD now. I wouldn't be surpised if Intel fights dirty again in the future discontinuing crossfire support on their future chipsets after releasing larrabee.

Intel has the power to monopolize the whole computer market. But will it happen? Only time will tell.

what percentage of computer users who buy pre-built machines get one with Nvidia chipsets?

The vast majority of Nforce chipsets are bought by enthusiasts, or people who at least know how to build a PC. That's where they're aimed for most of the time.

Also, think about this:
Intel is going to lock most of its Nehalem chips from overclocing, and now it's stopping Nvidia from making chipsets for Nehalem.
It looks like they're trying to use tactics to gain more sales in the average consumer market, and also to gain more money from the sales of high-end parts for consumers (unlocked Nehalem's)
It seems Intel does not care one bit about how it's hurting other companies in the process.

If this is true, then Nvidia will be forced to give SLI to Intel in the future.
I don't think Nvidia should be forced to give Intel specs to a technology that only affects its own graphics cards.
This is just Intel's way of forcing others out of the market, and make more sales for themselves, with or without SLI.
Intel won't lock any Nehalem cips from overclocking

http://www.techist.com/forums/f62/i...g-some-processors-will-even-encourage-176879/

The rumors preventing users from overclocking Nehalem processors are false
So they've changed their mind. I guess they figure they'll get more sales that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom