Favorite Game Features

Diablo 3- Pretty much everything

Diablo 3 - the nemesis and gifting system is awesome

This. And although quoting lastplace after Omo already said everything may seem redundant, it emphasizes how great the game's mechanics are.

pause and being able to save and not start over from beginning everytime

This too. Especially when the save system preserves your location/progress as well, like being able to save in the middle of a dungeon without hitting a save point.

This is an older one, but I loved the sanity meter in Eternal Darkness. It was a really cool concept in where the lower your sanity was, the more the game would mess with you. I don't know if any game has tried to incorporate a similar system as the main draw to the game since then ...

IIRC, Call Of Cthulhu had something similar.

This too. 100% truth here. Actually, Paul Tassi wrote about Skyrim a few days ago. Worth reading: The Solitude of 'Skyrim' Remains The Remedy For An Overly-Connected Age - Forbes

So, a few other things:

1. Bulletstorm's Skillshots. I will never get over that system. It was awesome.

2. The sheer volume of events in Forza 2, 3 and 4, Forza 2's parts customization, Forza 3's loyalty system for upgrades and the depth of the car customization system in 2, 3 and 4.

3. Borderlands' cel shaded graphics. For that matter, the aesthetic in Contrast, Transformer, Mirror's Edge, and a bunch of other games I'm forgetting but made my jaw drop. (Like that massive underground Dwemer area in Skyrim.)

I know I'm forgetting a TON more, but that's enough for now.

World Tendency - Demons Souls. Changed levels by opening secret areas to challenging mini bosses and rare weapons.

Class based MP introduced in BF series.

Dislike - over saturation of cut scenes, dialogue and QTE events.

This. And although quoting lastplace after Omo already said everything may seem redundant, it emphasizes how great the game's mechanics are.

This too. Especially when the save system preserves your location/progress as well, like being able to save in the middle of a dungeon without hitting a save point.

IIRC, Call Of Cthulhu had something similar.

This too. 100% truth here. Actually, Paul Tassi wrote about Skyrim a few days ago. Worth reading: The Solitude of 'Skyrim' Remains The Remedy For An Overly-Connected Age - Forbes

So, a few other things:

1. Bulletstorm's Skillshots. I will never get over that system. It was awesome.

2. The sheer volume of events in Forza 2, 3 and 4, Forza 2's parts customization, Forza 3's loyalty system for upgrades and the depth of the car customization system in 2, 3 and 4.

3. Borderlands' cel shaded graphics. For that matter, the aesthetic in Contrast, Transformer, Mirror's Edge, and a bunch of other games I'm forgetting but made my jaw drop. (Like that massive underground Dwemer area in Skyrim.)

I know I'm forgetting a TON more, but that's enough for now.
I was just playing around, although I do love the game. Article was a good read and I agree with most all he says.

Rewind features on games. Like on prince of Persia and forza. Even with it I suck at racing games

Sent from my iPhone using tiny buttons. Sorry for the misspellings. Busy managing Dragon Age's terrible inventory system.

The feeling you get when you nail a song on hard in Guitar Hero or Rock Band is unlike anything else.

The plastic instrument mechanic, although silly, really is awesome.

Sent from my blast processing t-781.afd Doritto chip from outer space.

The feeling you get when you nail a song on hard in Guitar Hero or Rock Band is unlike anything else.

The plastic instrument mechanic, although silly, really is awesome.

I used to love the music games. I can't wait to see the set list for rock band 4.

Kingdom of Amalur - the fact that you can respec at any moment and play a brand new build/character just by way of a handful of gold. Too many games lock this down and punish people.

Borderlands and Diablo allows you to respec but they don't allow you the flexibility to move from a heavy handed melee guy to a squishy wizard the way KoA does.

Kingdom of Amalur - the fact that you can respec at any moment and play a brand new build/character just by way of a handful of gold. Too many games lock this down and punish people.

Borderlands and Diablo allows you to respec but they don't allow you the flexibility to move from a heavy handed melee guy to a squishy wizard the way KoA does.

That was a cool feature of KoA. They got a lot right with that game actually.

It would never work in Diablo though. Diablo is 100% about gear. Paragon levels make a big difference, but the gear is what really determines your effectiveness.

Back
Top Bottom