Favorite computer!

What type of computer do you like?

• Total voters
Hardware is what I do man. I'm always on that **** like a fat kid on cake. If we wanted to get silly we could toss OSX on one of those HPs too lol.

If we're talking Macbook it gets even worse. A 2015 Macbook Core M gets stomped by any competing Windows based laptop in that price range because they pretty much all have i7s, and the Pro makes it even worse with the only advantage being a thin and sleek metal body. A 2200 dollar Windows laptop will get you a desktop class 980 and an i7 4790k.

The laptops I don't disagree with you about. Still usually a better screen, but overpriced for what they are all in all.

the custom built way is going to be cheaper, but that's not what you're comparing here.

Perhaps not, but surely that should be a point in the custom-built's favour? You can get a faster, bespoke machine for cheaper.

Funny thing is I disagree with you that the laptops are overpriced; I think they're the only things worth buying (Core M Macbooks excluded).

Perhaps not, but surely that should be a point in the custom-built's favour? You can get a faster, bespoke machine for cheaper.

Funny thing is I disagree with you that the laptops are overpriced; I think they're the only things worth buying (Core M Macbooks excluded).

Sure it is! I would custom build one indeed. In fact, I'm waiting on the Intel deal coming soon to see what new processor package they have to offer for a program I participate in. Probably going to build myself one hell of a rig, at which point I'll probably just check in here with PP to verify a few specs I work up.

I'm a little shocked at your point of view on the laptops. Can you elaborate on that?

I also noted the entry level iMac, which is the only one that has a dual core. The others all have quads. Since we're talking pre-built, you know it's going to be more than $20 for the extra RAM.

You also have the Thunderbolt port on the iMac along with the HD cam and the high resolution screen (even without 4k).

There's no defeat buddy. If you're comparing with Apple, you have to compare pre-built otherwise you're not comparing (no pun intended) apples to apples. Of course (most of the time) the custom built way is going to be cheaper, but that's not what you're comparing here.
No, it's total defeat. Entry level iMac is more expensive with inferior hardware. Also, a custom build from NCIX with the build option would be considered pre-built. You can have it ready to plug in and go.

If we move away from AIO the pre-built options get cheaper, then we can add a 1080p IPS display (nobody needs retina [4k] if they're buying a pre-built), a 1080p webcam, and the iMac listed can't even handle the bandwidth of Thunderbolt so makes it irrelevant. Not to mention, all devices USB3 will connect to the HP system which has more USB3 ports. We all know Thunderbolt is kind of a step-child just like Firewire.

I mean, going away from AIO an HP Prodesk 600 usually comes in around 600 bucks, can add a 1440p monitor to that (higher res than 21.5 iMac and bigger) and it has a Haswell quad, 1TB drive, and 8-16GB of RAM with room left over for software, an SSD or wireless mouse and keyboard to replace their crappy stock stuff.

The only things you're holding onto now are a stock Thunderbolt port which nobody uses, a webcam most people tape over, and the 21.5" model you have listed is actually only a 1080p IPS display. So high resolution isn't exactly an argument in favor of an inflated price, because the Retina model starts at 1500, which we know will buy a beast of a PC with a screen. Even the 1500 dollar 21.5" Retina iMac still comes with a 5400RPM 1TB drive, and to get an SSD you have to add more to that cost. If we want to stick true to AIO PC still wins. Quad to quad, bigger screen, bigger HDD...yea. Rekt.

ASUS All-in-One Computer ET2702IGTH-C2 Intel Core i5 4460S (2.90 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 2 TB HDD 27" Touchscreen Windows 8.1 64-Bit - Newegg.com

This is why it's difficult to have an adult conversation. People don't listen.

No, it's total defeat. Entry level iMac is more expensive with inferior hardware. Also, a custom build from NCIX with the build option would be considered pre-built. You can have it ready to plug in and go.
I never said it was cheaper. I said it isn't as far off as most folks think it actually is. The only inferior hardware is the HDD. The CPU should be bumped up to a Quad version, but I don't consider it inferior, either.

If we move away from AIO the pre-built options get cheaper, then we can add a 1080p IPS display (nobody needs retina [4k] if they're buying a pre-built), a 1080p webcam, and the iMac listed can't even handle the bandwidth of Thunderbolt so makes it irrelevant. Not to mention, all devices USB3 will connect to the HP system which has more USB3 ports. We all know Thunderbolt is kind of a step-child just like Firewire.
I already agreed that pre-built is cheaper than AIO. You say nobody needs 4k, but there are plenty of applications for such. Further, you should probably read up on Thunderbolt considering that Gigabyte and MSI are going to be picking up the port before calling it a step-child. Obviously, it still has the opportunity to fail, but as more manufacturer's are adopting it, it's probability of success goes up.

I mean, going away from AIO an HP Prodesk 600 usually comes in around 600 bucks, can add a 1440p monitor to that (higher res than 21.5 iMac and bigger) and it has a Haswell quad, 1TB drive, and 8-16GB of RAM with room left over for software, an SSD or wireless mouse and keyboard to replace their crappy stock stuff.
We were discussing AIOs, and nothing else. Apple needs to refresh their hardware on entry level if they expect to keep up, specifically with the Mac Minis, which at one time would have competed with your example.

The only things you're holding onto now are a stock Thunderbolt port which nobody uses, a webcam most people tape over, and the 21.5" model you have listed is actually only a 1080p IPS display. So high resolution isn't exactly an argument in favor of an inflated price, because the Retina model starts at 1500, which we know will buy a beast of a PC with a screen. Even the 1500 dollar 21.5" Retina iMac still comes with a 5400RPM 1TB drive, and to get an SSD you have to add more to that cost. If we want to stick true to AIO PC still wins. Quad to quad, bigger screen, bigger HDD...yea. Rekt.
Just because you don't use it doesn't mean that nobody uses it and as I already said it is being adopted more and more. Only the tinfoil hats tape over the cams, and I don't know but two of those type of folks. I already told you that it wasn't about winning or losing anything, merely discussing the options and showing that the price isn't as far off as you think. If you really feel like you have to be called a winner, then by all means I digress. Rekt? Childish.

Back
Top Bottom