Fallout 4 Announced

my middle some is a Fallout junky.... I didnt like new vegas at all...

Personally fo3 was one of my favorite games of last gen....but I didn't like new vegas...go figure.

I'm a Fallout fan dating back to Wasteland. I've mucked around with the Van Buren ... whatever it is. I have Fountain Of Dreams somewhere around here. I have both the original and updated versions of Wasteland.

I have, in short, spent some time with this subject.

As I saw it, there were two problems.

The first was bringing Obsidian in for FONV. This may sound strange considering the role that Obsidian staffers had in the original Fallout games, but in the years between Obsidian staffers working on Fallout and FONV ... well, Obsidian had mishandled a few things IMO. KOTOR 2, for example. The other sequels they worked on. It was a running joke for a time that Obsidian only worked on sequels, then blamed the subpar output they generated on the engine they had to work with. Then they released Alpha Protocol, a game built from the ground up, and ... well, it was a pretty miserable experience.

And I think that as they did all this, they forgot how to make a Fallout game. And that was the second problem. FO3 seemed like a Fallout game, just in a different world and a different perspective.

FONV seemed like a generic post-apocalypse game (which often didn't work, often crashed, corrupted save files, etc.) that had a bunch of Fallout and Wasteland references shoehorned in. It wasn't a Fallout game because it played like a Fallout game. It was a Fallout game because it beat you over the head with references desperately trying to show how Fallout-y it was.

Look! It's the NCR!!! That makes it a Wasteland/Fallout game, right? We're going back to Vegas and we're going to roam around the radioactive American Southwest because that's where Wasteland was set, okay? That makes it a Fallout game, right?

The problem is that Bethesda created a Fallout game in a new location and built its own mythology for the area and added to the game's lore. Obsidian dragged it kicking and screaming back to what they knew, and added a bunch of customization options for weapons (like Obsidian did with KOTOR 2), then - IIRC - blamed bugs/glitches etc. on having to use Bethesda's engine because - as Alpha Protocol TOTALLY proved (*eyeroll*) - they could TOTALLY do radder stuff if allowed to use their OWN tools.

In short, it was a Fallout game in name only. And I REALLY hope Bethesda does Fallout 4 because I'll buy the hell out of it. And I'm really hoping to avoid ever playing another Obsidian game again (which is why I didn't pledge on the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter - Obsidian's involvement scared me off after how badly they screwed up FONV).

I like the story behind Fallout, and Fallout 3 was really cool, even if the ending left you wanting. The only things i would change from 3 to 4 is the color pallete and the stiff character animations, oh and every chick looks like a man with a wig, what is the the Globe Theater?

I like the story behind Fallout, and Fallout 3 was really cool, even if the ending left you wanting. The only things i would change from 3 to 4 is the color pallete and the stiff character animations, oh and every chick looks like a man with a wig, what is the the Globe Theater?

I was stoked when Bethesda released "Broken Steel." Which, purely for the record, was apparently the result of fan lobbying to be able to continue to play as their Vault Dweller and remove the death at the end of Fallout 3. (And that game is something like five years old, so not a WORD of spoiler complaints.)

All the people defending "Mass Effect 3" and arguing it shouldn't change? Bethesda showed us all why listening to customers and making a change based on feedback can be a good thing :)

I couldn't get into Fallout 3. For me it share all of the great characteristics of Oblivion but with a seriously bleak landscape. I tried and failed on several occasions to get into it but it just wasn't for me. Never played New Vegas..Having said that I would be interested to see Fallout 4.

^ same. As much as I loved other Bethesda RPGs (TES games, duh), I just couldn't get into either of the Fallouts.

I'm the opposite of you guys lol. I couldn't get into Oblivion at all.

Played Fallout 3 and loved it. Put a bunch of time into that game. Didn't play New Vegas though. And then Skyrim came out and the mechanics felt more like Fallout (read: improved from Oblivion), so I liked it.

Could also be due to the fact I was pretty young when I played Oblivion, and was more into shooters at the time.

Back
Top Bottom