Dell sued over 'defective' laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=71292&eid=4&edate=20070116
Dell sued over 'defective' laptops

Class action suit alleges defective motherboards.

Dell is facing a class-action lawsuit alleging that the company knowingly sold faulty laptops.

The suit rests on the contention that the motherboards used in Dell's Inspiron 1100, 1150, 5100, 5150 and 5160 ranges were "substandard". The firm has already settled a similar case in the US concerning the Inspiron 5150.

"Many people rely on their notebook computers as a means of earning a living and for educational purposes," said Joel P Rochon, a partner at Rochon Genova LLP which is carrying out the action.

"This action seeks to deliver fair compensation to Canadian consumers who own these computers."
The problems were allegedly caused by the use of faulty motherboards, and poor design which left the laptops prone to overheating. The suit claims that Dell knew, or ought to have known, about these problems.

The proposed representative plaintiff, Thad Griffin of Aurora, Ontario, said: "I do not believe that I should be forced to spend hundreds of dollars to fix the defective motherboard, when Dell should have known about this problem at the time they initially sold the computer."

I always figured that their bargain basement laptop deals where too good to be true. I am glad they they are getting their hand slapped. It does explain why I service a lot of DELL computers.

Now if only i can expose a certain large Apple Dealership for their "Fire Sales" on notebook and desktops. Sadly the person that I know that is telling me about this is not prepaired to go down on record.

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=71600&eid=4&edate=20070119
CRN poll: Dell to suffer after faulty laptop melee

CRN readers predict the vendor will suffer from recent legal proceedings.

DellÂ’s sales will suffer in the wake of legal proceedings against the PC giant, according to a CRN online poll.

At the beginning of the week CRN.com.au reported that Dell has been at the centre of a class-action lawsuit alleging that the company knowingly sold faulty laptops.

CRN online readers have been voting all week and a vast 57 percent believe Dell’s sales will be “significantly” affected by the legal proceedings. A further 35 percent feel there will be a slight effect, and only eight percent predict no effect whatsoever.

A new poll will appear online Monday.

This is a good thing as I have been sick and tired of the last 3 years where Dell has really been squeezing and saturating the market with there computers.

I would like it if they dug a little deeper into some of their too good to be true desktop deals.
I have lots count the number of times where I have seen some one purchase "a really good deal" from Dell, but in the end have nothing but problems as the PC was put together with refirbished/repaired RMA goods.

I hope dell gets sued more often and looses money so the company crashes.

Also macintosh should do the same.

I hope dell gets sued more often and looses money so the company crashes.

Also macintosh should do the same.

yes to the first.

but macs use high quality hardware. hence why they are so overpriced, well that and they have a very good os.

How about the Dell 600m s? I got one and the darn thing overheats while doing 3D aps!!! It was marketed as an entertainment system capable of playing games!!!!

The first rule of marketing: Lie, lie, lie!

Rule 2: refer to rule #1.

are the dell laptops the ones that are used to replicate and make those laptop fires on Youtube?? i'll find the link

Those defective machines are really old models. I've been extremely pleased with the performance and quality of my Dell laptop. I've done a lot to it and it's still reliable.

lol when ever somebody mentions Dell Laptops... I think of a line from "I'll Sue Ya" by Weird Al, the line goes....

I sued Dell Computers, 'Cause I took a baaaatth(whole note of the word "bath") with my laptop, Now it doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom