Craig's List

Well, it's a 50/50 chance whether it will work and really it all depends on the parts you choose, the style of the computer, the price, and your area. I think you should wait till after the wedding to start that gamble.

That's the catch. If I do this, it would be with the entire motive of getting side money FOR the wedding. If it works, it's easy cash for me. It'll only take moving 1 computer to make it worthwhile in the future, know what I mean?

The one advantage is, if I dump 900 into a tower and sell it with a 500 markup @ 1400, and it doesn't sell, I could likely unload it for much lower at the actual cost of parts if I truly have to bail and just get the money back I spent. But sales like this are always contingent upon there being a seller available... that's the curve ball... but if there's a market, I could make some decent money for doing what I like. Meh.

That's the thing we were saying. Anybody smart enough to realize it was a 500 dollar markup wouldn't buy it. Hence, why it's such a gamble doing stuff like that.

That's the thing we were saying. Anybody smart enough to realize it was a 500 dollar markup wouldn't buy it. Hence, why it's such a gamble doing stuff like that.

I can only hope there are people who would be ooo-ing and ahh-ing over 8 core gaming rigs with 2GB graphics cards that might somehow think this rig = 1500 = deal, etc. One can only hope... we'll have to see!

The only thing that gets people to buy a $1200 rig or similar with another $500 on top is the fact the person purchasing doesn't wanna be bothered trying to build a rig, and wants someone, or a third party to build them a good rig. No one seems too upset about the cost of Alienware machines back in the day with huge markups.

The only thing that gets people to buy a $1200 rig or similar with another $500 on top is the fact the person purchasing doesn't wanna be bothered trying to build a rig, and wants someone, or a third party to build them a good rig. No one seems too upset about the cost of Alienware machines back in the day with huge markups.
People pay an outrageous price for Alienware because of the name.

People now know the name is owned by Dell, they pay because those are still considered top of the line systems with good warranty support. A lot of people are willing to pay good money for a good machine with a good warranty and REPUTABLE shop building it. But most shops just buy walmart machines, and stuff them inside a pretty case with close to 100% markup these days and SOMEHOW still manage to sell them machines.

People now know the name is owned by Dell, they pay because those are still considered top of the line systems with good warranty support. A lot of people are willing to pay good money for a good machine with a good warranty and REPUTABLE shop building it. But most shops just buy walmart machines, and stuff them inside a pretty case with close to 100% markup these days and SOMEHOW still manage to sell them machines.

View attachment 5240

Attachments

• be3.jpg
    be3.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 27
tj_extreme, my previous work environment was in a Dell environment with around 2,000 systems. I went into that job hating Dell, and came out loving Dell. Spot on support, overnight parts, never had a mistake. Sure you had the occasional goofball on the line who barely knew what a computer was, but overall I would just put in the system that I needed xyz part and bam - overnighted my way. I was quite blown away on more than one occasion. I'd easily buy a Dell product again, except their printers because "Dell printer" is often Lexmark, and Lexmark is as useless as you can get.

I posted an ad on the Chattanooga CL this past Friday:

I am looking for a cheap, working dual core computer to be used by a church. It can be AMD or Intel, not particularly picky. Computer must be in working order and include all the basic components (CPU, RAM, HDD, ODD).

The computer will be used for office work so it does not need to be a powerhouse, nor does it need any software or even an OS as I will be installing what is needed. If possible they need 2GB of RAM or better (will be running Win7). I can securely wipe the hard drive using Dept. of Defense level techniques if you are worried about anyone trying to recover your old files.

If you have something along these lines sitting in a closet or gathering dust give me a shout. This is coming out of my own pocket so it has to be as cheap as possible, so keep your $1000 water-cooled gaming rig to yourself, thanks.

I am in the Cleveland area but work in Chattanooga so I can pick it up or meet somewhere that we can both agree on.

I've gotten one response... someone offering to sell me their old WOW rig for $150. While it may be worth it it is more than I need and a lot more than I want to pay. I am quickly losing faith in Cl.

tj_extreme, my previous work environment was in a Dell environment with around 2,000 systems. I went into that job hating Dell, and came out loving Dell. Spot on support, overnight parts, never had a mistake. Sure you had the occasional goofball on the line who barely knew what a computer was, but overall I would just put in the system that I needed xyz part and bam - overnighted my way. I was quite blown away on more than one occasion. I'd easily buy a Dell product again, except their printers because "Dell printer" is often Lexmark, and Lexmark is as useless as you can get.
I agree, Dell is pretty good about that. My point earlier was, Alienware is only bought because of the name, not because of quality or anything else. There is a blind trust in this company that if you drop 3 grand on any of their machines then you simply have "the best". I saw a dated Alienware on CL once going for 12 grand and they said it was simply the BEST computer you could buy hands down. I lold for 5 minutes straight.

Back
Top Bottom