AMD On Track To Report A Profit For Q3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
AMD On Track To Report A Profit For Q3 - Tom's Hardware

It seems AMD has found a new way to bring in revenue: by selling fab equipment
AMD are selling 130nm 200mm wafer equipment to JSC Angstrem, a Russian semiconductor manufacturer. And potentially, they could also be selling 90nm equipment later on too

Apparently, the amount of money they'll be getting for it won't be a small number.

I'd also be interested to see what JSC Angstrem does with the fab equipment.

so selling their own outdated hardware to other manufacturers who will use them for their own uses? Nice!

But is this a smart thing for AMD to do though?

Rumor mill has it that AMD will go fabless soon.
Not exactly. Thy might become two companies (as part of the "asset smart" strategy); one which focuses on designing the chips, and one that focuses on manufacturing.

Anyway, due to their x86 license agreement, it's impossible for them to go fabless. They're not allowed to have more than 20% of their x86 manufacturing done using 3rd party manufacturers.

fabless?

Great, and Intel can't do either of those because they'd be stuck giving out P4's and Pentium D's.. and who'd want one of those!

When I saw the thread name, I thought it had to do with the high about of GPU's success.

Their GPU sales are definitely giving AMD a good amount of revenue. It's just that the sales of the 130nm fab equipment is giving them a significant amount more

It's good they'll actually be posting a profit, makes it easier for me to be a fanboy.

I'm a pretty bad fanboy, though. My whole family has computers built by me and now that I think of it they're all Intel. My x1950 is the only ati/amd related product we've got! Talk about epic fail lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom