What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Where has he said what he's doing ?

I've not needed a powerful pc at all for my Microsoft Hardware / Cisco Networking course.

Funny thing is, I've just had to cancel the laptop. For some reason, according to them the HD4000 doesn't work with that screen, in that particular chassis. However as soon as they cancel it, I'll order the same specs in a different chassis, except with a 500GB instead of 1TB and GT650m instead of GT630m (650m is the minimum available on that chassis), the price difference isn't much fortunately.

Where has he said what he's doing ?
Talked to PP on FB about it

Running multiple VMs as well as the host OS. Usually a minimum of at least 1 Linux VM, plus 1 Windows XP/Vista/7/8 VM, usually at least 2 (for example, running pentest tools from the Linux VM to break into an XP machine on a network to more easily break into the 7 machine - kind of a bare minimum network that isn't much use unless the machines are actually active). That particular example could probably be done alright on 8GB but it's more of a minimum use case than a maximum.

If I can get Linux working well with Nvidia Optimus then 8GB would probably be enough but for now I'm getting 16GB, with the option of selling the extra 8GB if I don't need it.

Fair enough. We do loads of our networking in simulations using Cisco Packet Tracer. Its a pretty sweet program.

Funny thing is, I've just had to cancel the laptop. For some reason, according to them the HD4000 doesn't work with that screen, in that particular chassis. However as soon as they cancel it, I'll order the same specs in a different chassis, except with a 500GB instead of 1TB and GT650m instead of GT630m (650m is the minimum available on that chassis), the price difference isn't much fortunately.

Talked to PP on FB about it
But you said you ordered it with the 630m :confused:

Yes, and since then I've had to change it. I don't see what's confusing about that :p

I was thinking what does the HD4000 have to do with it, then I remembered you wanted to use that crappy Optimus crap.

As troublesome as the current implementations of gpu switching are it sure beats the alternative of having to pick between having discrete graphcis or a laptop with usable battery life.

Back
Top Bottom