- Core i5 650k, stock cooling, stock speed
- MSI N460 GTX
- ASUS P7P55D-E LX
- Mushkin 2x4GB, running in dual channel
- OCZ Modstream 700W PSU
- BenQ G2222HDL LCD
- OS Dual Boot -- Windows 7 & Windows XP SP3

problem:

The issue is hard to describe, but I'm basically getting screen flicker when using 3D applications. The screen flicker looks somewhat like seeing a CRT monitor that's been recorded and played back. If you dont know what I'm talking about, here's a youtube link:
SONY TRINITRON GDM-FW900 SUPER FINE PITCH 24INCH CRT MONITOR *A DREAM COME TRUE* - YouTube

The effect is similar to this, but much subtler. It's almost impossible to see when playing FPS games, as the screen is often moving in all directions. It is quite noticeable while playing RTS games, like Starcraft 2, where the majority of the terrain remains fixed.

What makes this even weirder is that I believe that I've eliminated the problem in Windows 7, but haven't been able to take care of it in XP, despite following the same steps.

In Win 7, I set the display adapter refresh rate to 50Hz (instead of the default 60Hz), which seems to have cleared it up. I've done the same in XP, but the issue is still there. I've also tried various refresh rates and resolution combinations to no avail. I have reinstalled drivers, reinstalled older versions of the driver, re-seated my GPU.

The peculiar part is that the flickering only happens when I'm running 3D applications. The problem is not there while watching video, surfing, looking at photos. I realise that the next step might be to try my monitor on another computer, but I was hoping that someone might have an answer that prevents me from having to find another computer to plug my monitor into.

First thing I would suspect is possible overheating. Stuff like pic viewing and video don't really stress a gpu out that bad, where as the 3D rendering is causing it to work up more. I have seen this before on my own cards but was never sure of the answer except one. I have a G Force-FX 7800 (when they where new) and ran it for a long time. As time passed the card couldn't keep up so i started to fool with overclocking (knowing nothing about it @ 19) and short after messing with stuff it started to screen roll. As time went on it progressively got worse till i trashed the card. One question though before you go doing anything major. When you uninstalled the graphics card did you driver sweep it? I doubt it is the monitor (crazy things happen) because if it was, the roll should be noticeable all the time. I would definitely try to get my hands on another gfx card to test it with. My guess is the hard is either getting hot or has gotten hot at some point. You can use a program like gpu-z if there is a temp sensor to see what its running at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom