Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

I really don't see a 2012 reveal for the PS3 at all likely. PSV will of only been out for 4 months in the western world by the time E3 2012 rolls round, announcing a new console right after launching a different console ? that would certainly be interesting.

Assuming the next xbox comes out in 2013, the ps4 will have to come out in 2013 or 2014. The ps3 suffered a great deal from being a year behind. Sony isn't going to double the lag. And, as is the speculation, I believe the xbox will almost definitely have bluray.

Thats a solid theory, but the problem wasn't that the PS3 was a year late, it was the joint fact that it was also only just as good as the 360, the differences wern't significant. If the PS4 is 2 or 3 years late to the next xbox, it will also be significantly better, so they won't really be competitors. Just like the Wii isn't really competing with the PS3 and 360.

2 or 3 years into the xbox cycle is when most people will have just gotten it. People aren't going to buy something else that is priced way higher. If this happens, the ps4 will likely die a Dreamcast death. I don't see Sony attempting this. The general public won't know it is better.

2 or 3 years into the xbox cycle is when most people will have just gotten it. People aren't going to buy something else that is priced way higher. If this happens, the ps4 will likely die a Dreamcast death. I don't see Sony attempting this. The general public won't know it is better.

Your probably right actually.

Only time will tell I guess.

In regards to the addition of the Blu Ray Drive in the next xbox, I see this as being quite unlikely for a few reasons:

Firstly, Sony will try and pay off the BRDA to ensure that they keep sole use of one of the biggest selling points of their consoles.

Secondly, I believe Microsoft will create their own new proprietary format for their games, both to ensure that piracy is reduced, to ensure that they dont have to pay to use external DVD's or mor elikely Blu Rays and also to match the storage space of a Blu Ray. The disk drive within the console will more than likely be able to play DVD's and it may also be able to play Blu Rays aswell.

Firstly, Sony will try and pay off the BRDA to ensure that they keep sole use of one of the biggest selling points of their consoles.
I don't think it's legal to discriminatively deny certain companies from purchasing a license to produce blu-ray drives like that, unless they were already very selective to begin with.
But even if they could, I don't think they could stop a third party manufacturer who already has a licence to manufacture blu-ray drives from selling them to Microsoft.

Microsoft actually manufactures very little of the hardware themselves. Virtually every electronic device made today uses a collection of components designed and manufactured by a large number of different companies.
For example, they might buy a Realtek or Via audio chip, IBM CPU, Nvidia or AMD GPU manufactured by TSMC, Foxconn PCB's, Micron or Hynix memory, Hitachi or Seagate or Fujitsu or Western Digital hard drive, LG or Samsung optical drive....
Secondly, I believe Microsoft will create their own new proprietary format for their games, both to ensure that piracy is reduced, to ensure that they dont have to pay to use external DVD's or mor elikely Blu Rays and also to match the storage space of a Blu Ray. The disk drive within the console will more than likely be able to play DVD's and it may also be able to play Blu Rays aswell.
They already tried supporting HD-DVD. I don't think they would be willing to put tons of resources into making another competing standard.

I don't think it's legal to discriminatively deny certain companies from purchasing a license to produce blu-ray drives like that, unless they were already very selective to begin with.
But even if they could, I don't think they could stop a third party manufacturer who already has a licence to manufacture blu-ray drives from selling them to Microsoft.

Microsoft actually manufactures very little of the hardware themselves.
Virtually every electronic device made today uses a collection of components designed and manufactured by a large number of different companies.
They already tried supporting HD-DVD. I don't think they would be willing to put tons of resources into making another competing standard.
I agree that Microsoft are able to buy the license, I can just see Sony preventing it in some way,either through having some legal basis on copyrighting the technology for a gaming system or more likely, simply paying for an exclusive license.

I know that Microsoft manufacture very little of the technology themselves, I was simply stating that it may happen, likewise, look at the Wii U. Thats now going to be using a proprietary format exclusive to that console and Nintendo dont have as much money to flaunt around to spend on a new medium so it wouldn't surprise me. As for HD-DVD, Microsoft backed it as an entertainment medium, not a format designed to store games. What I am suggesting is that for games and games alone, the new xbox may use a proprietary format

I agree that Microsoft are able to buy the license, I can just see Sony preventing it in some way,either through having some legal basis on copyrighting the technology for a gaming system or more likely, simply paying for an exclusive license.
No, I just don't see that being possible.

I know that Microsoft manufacture very little of the technology themselves, I was simply stating that it may happen, likewise, look at the Wii U. Thats now going to be using a proprietary format exclusive to that console and Nintendo dont have as much money to flaunt around to spend on a new medium so it wouldn't surprise me. As for HD-DVD, Microsoft backed it as an entertainment medium, not a format designed to store games. What I am suggesting is that for games and games alone, the new xbox may use a proprietary format
I doubt it. I think they'll continue to use the same kind of system they currently use; requiring online accounts for multiplayer games and updates, and banning consoles from using it if they've been modified.

Sony has no way to stop Microsoft from using Blu-Ray drives if they wished. For one, ANYONE can purchase the drives from anywhere. Second a contract AFAIK can not tell Company B to never sell to Company A. Third Microsoft backed it as a multimedia format, yes. BUT, they would have had it in their consoles by now if HD-DVD won out for games, and Sony games would probably be staying on Blu-Ray. Sony seems to LOVE their proprietary forms.

I doubt it. I think they'll continue to use the same kind of system they currently use; requiring online accounts for multiplayer games and updates, and banning consoles from using it if they've been modified.
Thats not even related to my post, I made no mention of accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom