Wireless Keeps Dropping Only On 1 Network

biz_kid1

Baseband Member
My Broadcom 802.11n wireless network adapter keeps dropping only on one particular network...our guest network at work, which it has previously worked on just fine. Sometimes flushing the DNS will buy me a few minutes. Sometimes uninstalling the adapter itself and rebooting might work (momentarily), but nothing stays. I can see it issuing out the lease for 24 hours on the server. I can delete its lease and it will reissue a new IP but that may or may not work. If it connects, it will appear to be connected (bars on the wireless icon) but a web page won't load.

The connection is fine on other networks, like at home and at church. I've also played around with different versions of the driver, but still the same.

Thoughts? (I'm leaning towards DNS or DHCP issues on the server myself...but I'm not the sys admin for it...)

Acer Aspire 7741G-6426 running Windows 8.1 32-bit
Guest network runs over Cisco's Meraki Cloud
Home network is AT&T U-verse

I'd also advise updating your wifi drivers (manually, not through Device Manager's 'Check for driver updates' because that will only get what's on Microsoft's servers).

If you're not sure where to look, post the model # of your Broadcom wifi adapter and I can look it up.

Oh, no...I've tried the drivers, too - both "automatic" (frustrating) and manually installing via the several different versions I have. I can use my phone's hotspot with the adapter just fine, too...(no matter which driver is installed). I really suspect something on the server, but not sure what exactly, since it's getting an IP/lease. Our corporate office hinted that Time Warner did something (not sure what) that caused our academic (student-side) network (versus admin/staff-side) to go down if the Adtran was rebooted (but I don't think our Adtran was rebooted).

Well I'd see if other people are having issues connecting to the guest network as well.

All I have is my cell phone, but it is doing something similar on it, too...acts like it connects but won't load a web page in a browser - it should at least get to a splash screen to login to the Guest network...

And I tried a reservation in DHCP for the laptop but still the same.

Well I'd say it's most likely an issue with the network.

Either with that specific AP you're trying to connect to (can you connect to a different AP to the same guest network?), a switch, or something on the server end.

It's not the AP's, as I had the same issue in different parts of the building. But, our corporate office informed me that they rebooted our campus server and TMG due to long replication delay early this morning and I was able to login on both the laptop and my cell phone this morning, so guess that was it! I'll keep an eye on it today and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom