WHat's up with Yahoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Recently, there has been a lot of talk about Yahoo's future. Why are they considering mergers? Are they in trouble? How did this all start? I know Microsoft want to acquire Yahoo. Does Yahoo want to merge at all? I know Yahoo don't want to be part of Microsoft.

Now, AOL-Google are trying to set up a sealed deal with Yahoo with Microsoft talking to combine forces with News Corp. so they can eventually take over Yahoo!!!! Wowow, talk about a dogfight.

Yahoo has been declining for a while now and there had been some talk of a merger (not necessarily with MS but with somebody) helping them out and putting them on top again. Microsoft's own news site is costing them a lot of money because so few people visit it compared to Yahoo, CNN, etc. So they figured if they offered a lucrative buyout it would be beneficial to both companies. Yahoo wanted more money, MS didn't want to pay it. Now, with all of the other mergers in th works, we face the prospect of something much larger. Imagine a Yahoo, AOL, M$ merger that was backed by Google. No one is buying out Google but I think Yahoo wanted to work with them on some new ideas since they're no longer rivals, really. They've both diverged their paths from being mainly search engines so long ago that they're not butting heads like they used to.

As ****** as AOL is, lots of people still use them, be it for ancient dial-up or for a super-expensive front end for their broadband connection. They're marketing was so good in the 1990s that they have a customer base that could never even conceive of leaving them. When I worked retail I talked to hundreds of people, showing them how much cheaper and faster signing up for Cable or DSL would be, but they wouldn't hear it. Many even outright refused to believe me that you could even get on the internet with anybody other than AOL. To them, AOL=Internet and they'll never change. So having a base like that brings in a lot of guaranteed traffic and customers that will never go away. Integrating that with Yahoo would definitely be a big boost since they could set up Yahoo.com as the default news source for these users and they'd never go anywhere else.

Rogers, a Canadian communications juggernaut, and Yahoo have already been together for 4-5 years now. It was a part of Yahoo's plan to stop the decline and although it did help quite a bit, they are still losing their user base and many have switched their search engine and email choice to Google.

They need to get into some other venues. All that "everything you want on one homepage" hasn't done anything for a long time. I don't have any suggestions for new stuff they could get involved with, though.

personally I had thought that M$ had already bought yahoo...not true? a google yahoo merger would be incredible, they both have incredible search engines, both have really good marketing strategies, but yahoo currently has the better newscast... with all of google's marketing, and yahoo's various sources and apps, how could you really go wrong?

That's sorta what I was thinking. Personally, if I owned substantial Yahoo stock, I would've sold to M$ in a second and taken all of that filthy money. The chances of Yahoo becoming that profitable were pretty slim all things considered and I think I would've gotten out when the timing was right.

Could you imaging the new extension to Yahoo if Google bought em? Google Apps...Google Video...Google Maps...Google Yahoo...

...Google Microsoft? Ahhh...one day [gazes longingly into the horizon]

jorsoft... you were on a role until you said Google Microsoft. that company is evil to the root of their core. *waves to the masses* I'm done trashing M$ for now, don't have a cow! anyways, google is still yet evil, but less so than ms. I can halfway deal with them.

lol how do you figure Google is evil? Everything they do is ad supported and they have strong support for open source. They're like the Anti-Microsoft in a way.

I will try to find the release, but in a press conference they were accused of using gmail by scanning all emails and using it for advertising. they replied that they were and had no intentions of stopping that. might be something interesting to look up. you are right about the rest though. they are strong supporters of open source, and in that they regain some of my loyalty

jorsoft... you were on a role until you said Google Microsoft. that company is evil to the root of their core. *waves to the masses* I'm done trashing M$ for now, don't have a cow! anyways, google is still yet evil, but less so than ms. I can halfway deal with them.
I just don't see Google as an evil company.
Google services are free to use, and work really well. We all benifit from Google stuff.

And, it's a really good place if you've got a job there, too. Google is specifically modelled to be a place where people like working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom