What language?

zaka100

W͂Oͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕
For a first time programmer (somebody who has never coded in his life), what would be the best language to learn to make programs?

Mainly depends on what you want to develop.

I've heard Python is a good starting language; but it's more of a scripting language. C++ would be a good start if you want to actually get into software development, as you can start with basic C commands, and then move up to higher-level Object-Oriented programming styles. After C++, I'd move to C# or Java.

C++ and a *nix distribution.
I don't care what you say Carnage, the command line is easier! :tongue:

But no seriously, getting in to vim (or your editor of choice) and g++ is ridiculously easy. That's where I started :tongue:

C++ and a *nix distribution.
I don't care what you say Carnage, the command line is easier! :tongue:

But no seriously, getting in to vim (or your editor of choice) and g++ is ridiculously easy. That's where I started :tongue:

Hush! IDE's ftw! (Visual Studio = greatest thing ever) :p

Hush! IDE's ftw! (Visual Studio = greatest thing ever) :p

yeah, visual studio means a lot we can do. :D

-------------------------------------------------
Sent from my Nexus 5 using | TechForums app |
-------------------------------------------------

For a first time programmer (somebody who has never coded in his life), what would be the best language to learn to make programs?

It might also be worthwhile to gauge where your interests are.

If you're more into web development and design, I'd go with a language like javascript, especially since there is this huge shift toward using JS on both the frontend and backend these days with the introduction of technologies like node.js and noSQL databases. The only challenge is that javascript is less interesting without its friends HTML and CSS.

If you're going to be more interested in hardware or game programming, you might consider C++. It is a great first language that has great support in Linux (Mac included) and Windows environments. The key things it offers a first time developer is object-oriented programming skills and tons of support.

More modern languages like C#, Java, Ruby, and Python are also good candidates with a variety of applications in the web, cloud, and desktop spaces. They are completely object-oriented, and they have great support for commonly used architecture and design best practices, including MVC, MVVM, dependency injection, AOP, etc. I prefer C# because I do lots of web/cloud development using Microsoft technologies. However, for learning purposes, Java or Python are good deals since they are free and have great community support. Ruby is nice and also free, but it can have a learning curve with lots of heavy dependencies such as rails to be useful in practice.

Whichever first language you do choose, you will learn concepts that are pretty much consistent across all others. So, once you know one language at a high-level, you'll be able to pick up others over time. Just let your passions be the guide initially.

Great advice, brandonsays.

I prefer C# because I do lots of web/cloud development using Microsoft technologies. However, for learning purposes, Java or Python are good deals since they are free and have great community support. Ruby is nice and also free, but it can have a learning curve with lots of heavy dependencies such as rails to be useful in practice.

C# is also free and has Microsoft's MSDN library + tons of stuff on StackOverflow/DotNetPerls :p.

I'm also a .NET developer lol; C# is my primary language both at home and work.

C# is also free and has Microsoft's MSDN library + tons of stuff on StackOverflow/DotNetPerls :p.

I live on StackOverflow! Woot!

When I talk to a lot of beginner developers about C# tutorials they use, they often complain about not being able to run some examples because of features that are only available in Premium and Ultimate versions of Visual Studio...specifically around testing and such. But, you are correct, technically C# is free. I've never run into any of issues I hear about, but I've only ever had VS Ultimate.

I live on StackOverflow! Woot!

When I talk to a lot of beginner developers about C# tutorials they use, they often complain about not being able to run some examples because of features that are only available in Premium and Ultimate versions of Visual Studio...specifically around testing and such. But, you are correct, technically C# is free. I've never run into any of issues I hear about, but I've only ever had VS Ultimate.

I thought the Express editions had most everything except for stuff like IntelliTrace/Unit Testing/etc? I guess it might not have some templates...but the basic stuff (WinForms, WPF, Web projects) should all be there... or aren't they? Like you, I've only ever had VS Professional/Ultimate :lol:.

A good alternative to VS though is SharpDevelop.

Back
Top Bottom