What Download sites are safe

The only thing about comparing Ninite and *nix package managers is selection. Ninite has maybe 50 items :tongue: apt-get has thousands. and you can add your own repos!

Depends on what mood I'm in. I run Debian on my servers at home, solaris and debian here at work, Ubuntu on my desktop, and Debian on my laptop (running i3wm... in a VM... alongside OS X :tongue) Very rarely do I run something that isn't Debian based. I need to start learning systemd. sigh. maybe I'll move to devuan :tongue:

Switched between Fedora, gentoo, OpenSUSE, Debian, {x,l,ed}ubuntu, and mint. Mint is probably my favorite desktop OS. I <3 cinnamon. ElementaryOS is pretty nice too.

You can install multiple items at once ;). Just gotta run each executable - only installers you can't run concurrently are MSI's.

This is why I love this forum. Fast responses and more to learn! Thank you. And yes I knew MSI's but I did not know about other installation packages alongside MSI's. So that's great.

The only thing about comparing Ninite and *nix package managers is selection. Ninite has maybe 50 items :tongue: apt-get has thousands. and you can add your own repos!

Depends on what mood I'm in. I run Debian on my servers at home, solaris and debian here at work, Ubuntu on my desktop, and Debian on my laptop (running i3wm... in a VM... alongside OS X :tongue) Very rarely do I run something that isn't Debian based. I need to start learning systemd. sigh. maybe I'll move to devuan :tongue:

Switched between Fedora, gentoo, OpenSUSE, Debian, {x,l,ed}ubuntu, and mint. Mint is probably my favorite desktop OS. I <3 cinnamon. ElementaryOS is pretty nice too.

I've got to try Mint then. What are the benefits of one over the other? I'm not a great Linux IT. I mean I can work with Linux comfortably, but I'm only familiar with the few I listed and not extensively. I really want to learn more about Linux in general because I'm starting to like it more than Windows HAHA

I've grown trusting of oldapps... they usually have the old versions of apps that are just needed.

I'm using Freeware Files dot com, unlike Softonic and Cnet they don't install any additional stuff. Filehippo is also good, I agree upon this one

+1 for File Hippo.

The only issue I have is the Download manager they have just recently started using. I have been going to file hippo for mabie two years now and I have never had a problem with it.

I use Linux Mint on my DC Terminal, Windows on my Main Higher Spec Computers and Debian on my server. I know nothing about Debian and haven't looked at it proper yet as I only installed it a few days ago.

If I can get to grips with it I will have it booted 24\7 when I do power up the Server. Mint is good for ease of use. Its very minimal IMO and does not have much to it but due to the fact you have repository I like it. I've had a few Mint installs go wrong and after booting the Machine I have had the System correct it self with the help of the installer CD and thus copying File ECT, over.

I hate all download sites except major geeks. If you want to download something, get it from the original developers site.

I've got to try Mint then. What are the benefits of one over the other? I'm not a great Linux IT. I mean I can work with Linux comfortably, but I'm only familiar with the few I listed and not extensively. I really want to learn more about Linux in general because I'm starting to like it more than Windows HAHA

I work with Linux professionally. Not a Linux admin per se, but I'm the only one in the IT department now who works with *nix on a regular basis :tongue:

I work with Linux professionally. Not a Linux admin per se, but I'm the only one in the IT department now who works with *nix on a regular basis :tongue:

Yeah, I noticed a lot of "IT" people don't know linux well.

There is a guy I work with that works in accounts payable. He said he wants to build computers.

I was like, "that's cool, do you want to learn more about that or any other concepts of how networking, or more advanced machines like servers work? Perhaps you'd like to receive a list of powerful tools for PC diag and repair? I can burn them for you if you'd like?"

He's like, "no, I just want to build them..." >...< WTF?

He goes on to tell me that he thinks it is ridiculous that we pay $1500-$1700 hundred for a machine and that if he was IT he'd only have to spend $900...

Unfortunately we do have a vendor who has been doing computer builds for the company for the past 20 plus years... Because I know even I could build them for less since I am an actual employee and not a private vendor who charges extra fees for labor but IDGAF about the price because it does not come out of my pocket, nor does it come out of the pocket of the other wannabe sorta IT person.

I had to sit with him and explain that the cost relates to labor fees, and software "ain't" free! He sure could build computers for $900, sh*t even less, but he can't use illegally downloaded software so I was like, "So after you theoretically build this machine for $900 and not get paid for labor, or load any software (AN OS, MS OFFICE, other paid applications, etc...); what would that benefit for our company? Are you going to buy the software? Are you not going to charge labor fees?"

He's like, "Ehhhh..." and walked away haha

But he will obsess over it because he ONCE built a PC which when I started here he said he needed help because, "the power supply is plugged in but it won't turn on. It's plugged in, and the MoBo light is on but when I push the button the computer stays off." I said, "did you check the front panel connectors?" He said, "Whats that?" AND HE WANTS TO BUILD COMPUTERS FOR A COMPANY HAHAHAHA!!! DOES NOT WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT IT.... HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sorry I went off topic and into something long but I was thinking about it and how dumb it was.
:TrueStory:

I was like, "that's cool, do you want to learn more about that or any other concepts of how networking, or more advanced machines like servers work? Perhaps you'd like to receive a list of powerful tools for PC diag and repair? I can burn them for you if you'd like?"

Is that offer now open to the public? :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom