What does your chill spot look like?

Hmm, still doesn't work for me. Full error: "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

We will try again

View attachment 5091

I will be moving into this place over the next 2 weeks. Ultimately this will be the computer room / man cave.

Broke 2 promises last week.
1- Not to be moving house again so soon. (On average, I seem to be moving house every 2 years)
2. Moving in with another share house arrangement. (Person I am moving in with is a cop that normally works night times. Perfect house mate as I do not see him.)

Attachments

• IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 104
My sons chill spot, in his 9x12 bedroom. Another reason I want to go to Germany, a bigger damn house. Right now he has my rig (sitting between the speakers, under the TV), his PS3 slim with a 500gb HDD, and my old X-Rocker. Behind me is all the DJ equipment, and his stereo system. His TV is a 40" Sony Bravia EX720 LED 3D 240hz 1080p.

View attachment 5099

Attachments

• 120120_0001.jpg
    120120_0001.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 93
Well, we're pretty much done moving. Instead of boxes being everywhere and furniture stacked up with no where to go, things are taking shape. Our basement is cleaned up and my computer desks I was building are done. I feel like I've been just building non-stop, from my desks to laundry tables, drying racks, and I snuck in a mountain bike repair stand in there, etc. At any rate, I wanted to build two new inexpensive (yet nice and durable) tables. I know, conflicting ideas, right? The goal was a desk for my computer and a matching side table. After a failed attempt at just painting them (the rubber feet on my monitors and other devices seemed to smudge the paint finish easier than I anticipated) I wanted to go with some sort of laminate. Someone suggested Formica to me. At 42 bucks for a 4x8 sheet I was a little "ehh" over it, but when the clerk asked me how much I spent in time and materials for the paint jobs I did (it adds up) suddenly the Formica wasn't that much more expensive at all. A long afternoon and a how-to video on ThisOldHouse.com, we were done.

The main desk has metal drawers, which is kind of like the frame. I bought this desk off Craigslist for 40 or 50 bucks a few months back but the wooden top was warped. In an effort to try and replace it, I couldn't find any hardwood slabs that big. A user here suggested I get a Lauan door from Lowes or Home Depot... the kind with no holes cut out in it yet. 48 bucks for a solid desk top? I'll take it. The side table is made out of 2x3 framing and 3/4" particle board. The bottom shelf is just painted because since it was just going to be housing things to sit there, I couldn't justify Formica'ing it. I figured I would just have the nicer, more durable finish up top where it would see more traffic with me actually working on projects and repairing systems.

Side note: One piece of advice I would have when trimming laminate for something like this is to make sure you're using a shorter length trim bit. I tried a longer trim bit and the blade further down would scuff the finish. Luckily it only took a few inches of trimming to notice so it's hardly even noticeable, but once I swapped out for the short shaft bit it was much better. Plus, go super slow on corners. It only takes a little too speedy of a hand around the corner for the blade to snag and tear off a bit of the corner. Since contact cement isn't really meant to give-back, it would turn into a decent sized project to get that new piece of laminate off to redo it. This is the exact set I got - http://media.toolking.com/catalog/p...n_23006_Trimming_Router_Bit_Set_-_3-Piece.jpg - the center one was the longer one I used at first, while the one on the right was a bit more favorable in this scenario since I was only cutting laminate which is rather thin.

Overall, cost of materials (including router trim bit set, wood, gallon of contact cement, two 4x8 sheets of Formica, Lauan door for main desk, particle board for side table) was right on the money @ 200 bucks. Not bad for a 32x80 desk top with a 24x96 matching side table.

At any rate, this is now my little get away:

pK6qol.jpg

Z8fmsl.jpg

ZT2hQl.jpg

Jsrdql.jpg

Back
Top Bottom