Web Design Start-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandre88

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

I'm currently a college student and would like to find something to do on the side to make a little bit of extra money. In 5th grade I started making websites using HTML and did so through about 8th grade. The websites I made were primarily for myself and e-Feds (RP Wrestling Websites). Unfortunately, I quit doing that in high school and have gotten pretty far behind in the game.

I have a good basic knowledge of HTML and very basic knowledge of CSS. I've always been good at self-teaching myself things and luckily have a cousin who designs websites for a living which is a nice resource to have. I'd just like to get some help and advice with a few things.

First of all, what programs should I familiarize myself with? Also, if you could suggest some good resources and tutorials on using whichever programs that would be much appreciated.

As far as going about myself comfortable and familiar with HTML, CSS, etc could you suggest some good websites and/or eBooks that offer the best resources, tutorials, guides?

Any other advice or suggestions?

My plan is at first is to focus on simplicity and over-time get more advanced. I know some people actually would prefer something that is simple and elegant, if you will, over something really flashy and complicated.

Thanks.

Well the problem is simple. With the introduction of HTML5, simple isnt simple anymore. HTML5 allows people to use flashy things, without having to use flash. Meaning that everyone is getting away from Adobe Flash Player and can now just use a video and have it show on their page. So it isnt so simple anymore.

Adobe still has the best products for this. Dreamweaver used in conjunction with Photoshop.

I have used Microsoft Expression Web along with Paint.NET before to make some sites. But honestly, it isnt going to be easy just jumping back in as you think. HTML5 has changed teh game.

Well the problem is simple. With the introduction of HTML5, simple isnt simple anymore. HTML5 allows people to use flashy things, without having to use flash. Meaning that everyone is getting away from Adobe Flash Player and can now just use a video and have it show on their page. So it isnt so simple anymore.

Adobe still has the best products for this. Dreamweaver used in conjunction with Photoshop.

I have used Microsoft Expression Web along with Paint.NET before to make some sites. But honestly, it isnt going to be easy just jumping back in as you think. HTML5 has changed teh game.

Thank you for the information.

I had read a little bit about HTML5 and heard that it would be essentially replacing Flash. However, I never used Flash nor did I have any experience with it.

I am planning on taking a couple of classes to help me get back up to speed but I do know that it isn't going to happen overnight it'll take some time.

I do have Dreamweaver and Fireworks but not Photoshop at the moment. I may buy it sometime here in the future but for now I think I can get by with the other two.

With the introduction of HTML5, should I concentrate on learning that more than anything else? Obviously, I still need to get up to speed with CSS and learn some Javascript. I've got some eBooks on HTML, CSS, and Javascript I'm going to start reading through. I'll look for some HTML5 ones as well.

I figure also looking at some templates and just playing around with them will help also.

Wordpress, hands down

As far as Wordpress goes, I don't know much about it. I mean I know what it is but that is all. Any suggestions on places to go read up on it?

I started learning from HTML Dog. But since you say you are a college student why don't you enroll in a HTML/CSS class? That should help get you up to date. There are plently of great blogs out there...starting with CSS-Tricks.com

I started learning from HTML Dog. But since you say you are a college student why don't you enroll in a HTML/CSS class? That should help get you up to date. There are plently of great blogs out there...starting with CSS-Tricks.com

Yeah I found 2 classes that seem to be about perfect for what I want to do and start those next week.

alright mate

i taught myself from
Web development tutorials, from beginner to advanced | Nettuts+
http://www.tutorialized.com
Good-Tutorials - Newest Tutorials

and also use an IDE called Netbeans, aptana and of course all our friends Notepad++

but i mean to get into it go to the W3CSchools website and follow the HTML5 tutorials there but aslo remember that HTML5 is not standard yet and wont be for quite some time yet so also get back into XHTML

also to get up to scratch with CSS use all the URLS i have provided.

you can get dreamweaver if yuo want but is inst open source and costs an absolute fortune.

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom