The Road to The next Gen of Consoles

slaychandim

Evil Made Flesh
So with the Wii u coming out soon there is constant talk of the next gen. of Sony and Microsoft. Now what I dont get is why everyone is so nuts to drop $600 when imo the current gen. is still fine. Do any of you guys have problems with this gen were you are just chomping at the bit for a new console. I remember when the older gens were coming out it was like every year the games were getting better and better and therefore new consoles were needed because games were getting so much more complex. But I dont really see that now (maybe I am not tech savy enough) but for the last few years some great games have come out.

Basicly my question is are you happy that new systems will be coming in the next year or so or do ypu wish they would put it off for a bit:FuManchu:

Both Microsoft and Sony have said that the new systems are going to be far less of an upgrade than the 360 and PS3 were from the Xbox and PS2. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said the last console launch was needed because the games got so complex and new systems were needed to catch up. Now it seems the systems have caught up and games are not getting more complex or innovative. I'm happy sticking with the 360 for awhile. In my experience it is never the best idea to buy a console (aside from a Nintendo product) at launch because of all of the issues they have. I'd rather someone else drop $500 and work out the wrinkles. I'll wait for version 2.0 or 3.0.

im happy with the life span of these current gen systems, in a few years i think i will be ready for a new system, as long as they dont do anything stupid like, no discs, as for the Wii U, i dont consider that a major console and could care less, but im sure my grandmothers retirement home is looking to upgrade their Wii

I am looking forward to the new generation with upgrades. While it is still possible to squeeze out 4 more years out of the current generation, I think having more power means they can do more with their games.

Having to worry constantly about polygon counts and code being efficient enough to not slow down the console is a pain.

If you can have more power added to it, why not? I don't believe the price tag will be $600 like Slay said either...cause thats nuts. I believe the price range will be bout $300-$400.

I am looking forward to the new generation with upgrades. While it is still possible to squeeze out 4 more years out of the current generation, I think having more power means they can do more with their games.

Having to worry constantly about polygon counts and code being efficient enough to not slow down the console is a pain.

If you can have more power added to it, why not? I don't believe the price tag will be $600 like Slay said either...cause thats nuts. I believe the price range will be bout $300-$400.

Ps3's are still 250-300 so i highky doubt the new ones will be that price. how much were launch ps3s anyone remember

Ps3's are still 250-300 so i highky doubt the new ones will be that price. how much were launch ps3s anyone remember
PS3 Basic was about $499, Premium was $599
Xbox was $299 - Basic, $399 - Premium

Edit: It's the only reason why I NEVER bought a PS3, too expensive.

Yeah but now you can get a 500 gb for 300 I think thats a good deal I wish mine would have waited to break till that one came out. I only have about 100gb left on my 320

I for certain am ready for a complete overhaul in consoles and console gaming because I'm a PC gamer. Actually to be quite honest, I will probably end PC gaming until newer next gen based games start coming out.

There are many reasons that all coincide with each other, and they are all lengthy but I'll try to keep it short.
For one, the newer consoles will have more RAM, a newer DirectX API standard (11), and faster processing capabilities for more multi-threaded support. What does this do? Well to give you an example of how held back we are take a general look at this thread.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

If you don't know what you are looking at I'll explain it in short and simple. The 6000+ was released about 6 years ago and has the same "gaming" capability as compared to the more modern 200 and 300 dollar quad core CPUs. At that same rate, because of consoles graphics capabilities are severely held back for PCs. PC gamers are stuck with console ports that look like crap, and if the port itself is crap the controls are weird or it is blatantly obvious that the game was made with only console in mind.
Game engines are being reused over and over again because you can only really advance texture compression so much for enhanced graphics before you reach an end. Because of this you get AAA titles that really bring nothing to the table in terms of "new" content and without extra engine capabilities that support newer and better AI interactions which require more resources you are yet again, held back by hardware limitations.
Developers are getting seriously lazy in terms of production because of attitudes like OP (no offense buddy) they can release something and people are still like "Oh this is great!". Or people who insist on buying each Call of Duty despite being rehashed nonsense. I was in actual jaw dropping shock when I heard Black Ops 2 will be a new engine with new everything. Matter a fact, I'm still in doubt.

To wrap it up, basically when you guys get your shiny new consoles, everybody wins. You guys get better games with more interaction, actual new material in terms of graphics and gameplay, and developers have NO excuse to hold back graphics capabilities for PC. Not only that, but it gives my fiance more work because she works directly with Walmart and Microsoft selling games and consoles in store.

I could probably wait another 2 years for an upgrade. Some of the games recently announced for current gen systems will probably be just coming out about then anyway.

I am excited about a certain console coming out this holiday season though. Neo Geo is releasing a handheld/console combo for $200 this December. I know there are infintly cheaper ways to play these games, but the Neo Geo used to be the holy grail of consoles when I was a kid. I'm fighting a losing battle trying to talk myself out of buying one.

Back
Top Bottom