TCP IP...

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I was curious to know if anyone could help thanks.

If you take a site like Google.co.uk or Facebook.com and then the acutall name of that site is then communicated to the acutall DNS (Domain Name Service \ Server) if their would be two individual communications the would be created in order for your PC to then go out to the internet and look up that IP Address in regards to Google.co.uk as I said and Facebook.co.uk .

I know that when you have an acutall TCP (Transmission Control Protocol), this is the acutall communication in regards to TCP IP I think between two or more computers but what I'm unsure about as well is the IP Addressing being given to a acutall device because if you take say for example 192.168.x.x then when you and your nabours share the acutall same IP Address what is given by your ISP threw the DHCP (Dynamic Host Control \ Configuration Protocol) Servers them selves. Servers I believe they have on their end dedicated to this process. I don't understand how you can a Public IP Address the same as your entire street. I'm thinking this must have something to do with Sub Net Masking. I think Smaller Networks with in a larger network what is "Kinda like" Clusters of devices that will be assigned the IP Address, Sub Net Mask, Device ID, ECT:

Does any of that make sense to anyone, As I'm pretty unsure and not sure how the whole process works.

I've never mentioned NAT, DNS, Default Gateway, and could get more in depth in to Sub Nets but I'll start their.

ISP provide a unique public IP address to each house, so noone has the same IP. But as more and more people are getting network devices, the world is running out of IPv4 IPs, so that is why IPv6 has been developed.

IPv6 in theory, can have 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211, 456 IP addresses...

Apparently, you say this number like this:
340 undecillion, 282 decillion, 366 nonillion, 920 octillion, 938 septillion, 463 sextillion, 463 quintillion, 374 quadrillion, 607 trillion, 431 billion, 768 million, 211 thousand and 456!
(39 decimals) :cool:

Compared to estimated total stars in the universe (currently) there are about between 100 octillion to 1 Septillion stars, so their will be more IPs than stars in the entire universe!!
(25 decimals)

And thats about half! of the entire estiamted atoms in the universe which is,
100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 =100 quinvigintillion
(81 decimals)

So once we inhabit Mars, and the Moon, we should still be ok lol... as long as they can find a way to use the internet outside of Earth (given we cant use cables...)

*Note, I use http://www.wolframalpha.com/ to make the calculations, I dont figure this out in my head lol

Last edited:
The time lag for radio one way to the moon is roughly 1.25 seconds. I could live with that.
But to mars the lag is roughly 13 minutes 48 seconds. I get impatient if a page takes a couple of seconds.

The time lag for radio one way to the moon is roughly 1.25 seconds. I could live with that.
But to mars the lag is roughly 13 minutes 48 seconds. I get impatient if a page takes a couple of seconds.

Yeah lol, We'd need like some sort of space APs to bridge it :cool:

I didn't explain that very well i2D__ . I read it back just their and was getting muddled up my self. I think the likes of 192.168. must be internal IP Addresses not External. I am still confused by the process a bit.

What I was getting at, at the start of the process was is their two individual communications for a session with the DNS Servers.

As for the IP Address, why I was confused was because I have now BT Fiber Optic and my IP Address has completely changed in regards to Talk Talk who I was with before. I watched a small Video about creating a small Computer Network Lab what greatly cleared up the process of IP Protocol and Sub Nets to an extent but was confused as if a DHCP Server would sit say on BT's end.

The whole thing is a mess in my Head. Mabie I should start at one point or I'll sicken my self.

Your ISP, in this case BT, will have their own DHCP server - or enterprise equivalent thereof - for assigning IP addresses to their customers' routers. Unless you have paid for extra IP addresses, this will only be one address. However, each device on your network needs an IP address of its own to be able to network properly. Since BT has only given you one IP address, this limits you to only being to network on device to the outside at a time.

This is where NAT (Network Address Translation), comes in. It allows your router to assign internal-only addresses to your network devices - almost always in the 192.168.x.x range - so that they can network properly. The way NAT works is that it switches out the internal address for the external address when your device wishes to communicate externally. This allows many devices to utilise a limited set of external addresses. The internal 192.168 addresses are assigned by a (very light) DHCP server that will be running on your router.

Extra information:
IP addresses aren't set in stone. They can easily be reassigned at any time. In the case of external IP addresses assigned to your router, they are often reassigned if your router reboots. It will also of course be reassigned if you change ISPs, as each ISP will own its own (very large) set of IP addresses. The set of IP addresses that TalkTalk own is different to the set of IP addresses that BT own.

Last edited:
There's a DHCP server at the ISP (their router) and a DHCP server on your home network (your router). The IP Addresses your home router hands out via DHCP are ALL internal IP addresses. The IP Addresses the ISP router hands out are External IP Addresses. Your router gets assigned one of these external IP Addresses by the DHCP service running on your ISP's router.

edit: damnit

Spud, I think your trying to take in to much info at once :cool:, thats not a problem, but it would help to get hands on with these services to understand them better, you told me before you had a few computers at home,

Turn one of them into a windows server 2008 /2012 and install DHCP / DNS and turn it off in your router, then start playing around with it and youll learn faster :cool:

Turn one of them into a windows server 2008 /2012 and install DHCP / DNS and turn it off in your router, then start playing around with it and youll learn faster :cool:

Personally I'd use Linux for that purpose, but it's a good idea regardless.

Back
Top Bottom