System restore success poll

Have you had a good success rate using System Restore?

• Yes (High success)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (Low success)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hikari-

That is the thing. Many people do not realize that Restore points also get infected with Viruses. So they get infected and think a Restore point will work. It wont.

thru.

Does this not defeat the purpose? would not "Last Known Good Configuration" in advance boot settings, fix what ever you just installed that caused a problem?

Mak-

The only things I'd want to restore are files, and system restore doesn't do that. :p I just turn it off, it bugs me, and with all the experience I've had working in the shop and having mass infections in there, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I think the only time I would use it is if I was installing a new service pack.

I did do a double take though when I installed my new 1.5tb HDD and saw that system restore was taking up some 200 gigs, haha. That was funny.

Does this not defeat the purpose? would not "Last Known Good Configuration" in advance boot settings, fix what ever you just installed that caused a problem?
It is to be used when you have a boot issue or a configuration issue. This will allow you to go back to the settings of the last known good boot. So if you just booted with the virus and it was not a problem you will be taken right back to that time. So you would in fact still very much have this issue and it still be very much a issue.

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP

Sorry if that sounds harsh but it isnt meant to be. LNGC is to be used when you install a piece of software or a driver that afversly affects the system. Which will cause windows not to boot to the desktop upon restart. This will allow you to get to a desktop to roll back what you had previously done. It will not go back to before you installed a Virus or got your system infected.
Mak-

The only things I'd want to restore are files, and system restore doesn't do that. :p I just turn it off, it bugs me, and with all the experience I've had working in the shop and having mass infections in there, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I think the only time I would use it is if I was installing a new service pack.

I did do a double take though when I installed my new 1.5tb HDD and saw that system restore was taking up some 200 gigs, haha. That was funny.
I can understand. I have mine off as well since most of the time i crash my system and have to reinstall anyways. Gotta love being a Beta Tester. :D

It is to be used when you have a boot issue or a configuration issue. This will allow you to go back to the settings of the last known good boot. So if you just booted with the virus and it was not a problem you will be taken right back to that time. So you would in fact still very much have this issue and it still be very much a issue.

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP

Sorry if that sounds harsh but it isnt meant to be. LNGC is to be used when you install a piece of software or a driver that afversly affects the system. Which will cause windows not to boot to the desktop upon restart. This will allow you to get to a desktop to roll back what you had previously done. It will not go back to before you installed a Virus or got your system infected.

Yes I know what it does my friend ;) and what it won't do. but my point here is.. don't they both do the same thing? (SR and LKGC) but the LKGC takes up less space as Hikar- said

Don't use them here... I need the room for downloading, and besides... I slick my machines at least once a year anyway. I don't keep much on my machine, as I use external for everything, including backing up the backups :p

Yes I know what it does my friend ;) and what it won't do. but my point here is.. don't they both do the same thing? (SR and LKGC) but the LKGC takes up less space as Hikar- said

No. Because as i said LKGC will only take you to your last boot. As where System Restore you can go back a month or more depending on when your Restore Points were made. Plus you can have up to 5 Restore points.

So it is a much more reliable system. As where LKGC will only take you back to your last good boot. Which even if you had a bad software install still might not help you. There have been more time that LKGC has failed on me than System Restore.

I can understand. I have mine off as well since most of the time i crash my system and have to reinstall anyways. Gotta love being a Beta Tester. :D

Haha, I bet. ;)

By the way, have they updated System Restore in Windows 7?

I try System Restore as a last resort but it almost never helps me, I'd say honestly maybe 1/20 or even 1/30 issues are resolved by it, maybe even less. It might just be the type of issues I seem to run into, though. Anyone who's helped me troubleshoot something over MSN knows the only stuff I can't seem to fix is the crazy weird issues that no one's seen before or just shouldn't be happening but somehow are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom