Steam Hacked?!

Spicy

In Runtime
Logged onto my steam about an hour back and oh boy everything has gone wrong. It wasn't even my account, so I messaged my friends and they all had the same problem. As news spread worldwide I found out that pretty much every steam account had been hacked and when you logged onto steam someone else's account was displayed including email, phone numbers, credit card numbers and paypal emails. I changed all my passwords and hope that I don't see any weird transactions out of my paypal account. But for now, R.I.P Steam. I suggest logging off and changing passwords, valve said not to touch the store so I am going to follow that advice. Have you suffered this problem?

Last edited:
It was caused by caching issues with Valve's service provider. Not actually a hack, but in many ways worth since innocent users were getting access to other's information.

They were DDoS'd causing the issue with the caching servers since most of their servers went down causing their cache system to be used. No actual serious sensitive information was leaked by other profiles being loaded according to Steam. So technically not a hack, but I'd be willing to bet if their full DDoS attack went through they would have been hacked. The script kiddies probably didn't have enough resources to fully take down Steam servers like they did Live and PSN.

Back
Top Bottom