State of Decay (Class 3) by Undead Labs

XGC Forsakend

Student & Lover of Games
As of Today (June 5th, 2013):
Undead labs has released their zombie survival rpg onto XboxLive Arcade.
Been looking forward to this game for the past 1.5-2 years :D

Here is a review from IGN
State of Decay Review - IGN

THE VERDICT

State of Decay's ambition reaches farther than most $60 titles, so its value is unquestionable as a $20 download – especially given how it manages to successfully meet so many of its lofty goals. I spent about 12 hours in this Zed-infested world, and while I saw most of what's there, I could've spent a few more hours exploring. And since I focused on melee weapons the first time, I fully plan to start another game with a gun-centric character. Meanwhile, startup developer Undead Labs has already said that if State of Decay is successful, it hopes to follow it up with a massively multiplayer online sequel, codenamed “Class4.” But for now, Decay belongs in the pantheon of great modern zombie games alongside Valve's Left 4 Dead series and Telltale's Walking Dead episodes.

Gonna start the download shortly (if it is available yet) and try it out after I get home from class.

Some issues that have come up so far is lots of clipping with the zombies, and very bad frame rate drops during pop ups. Hopefully a patch can address it. Despite IGN saying that the frame rate is annoying, it still rated it a 8.9

It's a massive download, even for the demo. I'm downloading it in bits and pieces, but it's going to take a while between the size of it and because of the fact that everytime I go into an online game the download pauses.

The demo's are always the full game. There is then an option to unlock/purchase and it downloads the unlock key. :p

Edit:
Already posted twice, thought i'd just edit this one and give my thoughts on the game thus far.

IGN wasn't lying about the frame rate drops. They ARE pretty bad... like BAD. Not enough to make me stop playing the game but very bad. The worst one was earlier today when everything froze for a full two seconds and I came back driving an untextured box with a character model stuck in it. Took it another 3 seconds afterwards to load everything in.

Other than the frame rate drops and zombies clipping through doors (and once the floor so far), very time-management and planning game. Have to be on top of everything and act fast, yet be careful not to overwork my current character and let them rest.

The worlds are persistent and continue to exist even after turning the system off. Day and Night Cycles take an hour for each (2 hrs real-time for a full day) and it also takes
30-1 hr for characters to rest up and recover.

So over using a single character and getting him beat up to the point of near death will have him exhausted and unusable until he can recover from his injuries. Recovery (depending how bad his injuries are) takes time. If he is simply sick or has minor injuries... he is out for like an hour or two.

If he came down with a fever or another disease or severe injuries (broken rib, broken arm) he may be out until until who knows when. I am assuming the roll of the dice (RNG) + the level of medical care you currently have available + if you have enough medication available.

There is also a sense of urgency in the missions since most are time sensitive and truly affect the outcome of not just your community but the person asking you for help too. Choose not to help an ally, and they may come back disliking you, come back slightly injured, severely injured, or not come back at all or possibly dead.

So my current mood on the game:
So much to do, so little room in my main base to shelter 14 people, so little time. Can't always help people asking me for help cause I fear losing someone for pushing them too hard. I have had 5 close calls so far where I was yelling "NOOOO!!!" at my TV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom