SSD in PS3

I want to say this is kind of rubbish. Your fast SATA3 SSD will be capped at SATA 1 speeds which is 150MB theoretical bandwidth in either way. Copying games (installing) to the drive will be limited to the speed of the disc which in that thing should be like 8 or 12x. Installing games the disc drive is the limiting factor and simply installing an SSD wont help that at all. The only advantage you will have is seek times and loading times of which they show nothing about, and only merely mention it. Yes loading times will be improved, but I'm not sure it will be as much as you think because the limiting factor there is RAM size and CPU speed. It's not like a regular computer where the only real limiting factor is the HDD. Installing an SSD in any PC will show a considerate difference. Here, I'm not sure if it's worth the money yet unless you find a cheap SSD on Craigslist.

The PS3 uses a 2x Blu-ray drive, so it is definitely limited in that regards. Items purchased through the PSN are all digital and load from the harddrive.

I know this, but here again the maximum allowed bandwidth is 150MB theoretical on a SATA1 port. Your SSD speed will still be limited to about the burst speed of a regular drive. If the port was SATA2 then it would be more worth it.

Back
Top Bottom