Software piracy costs $50 billion a year, according to BSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
ZitZot Software piracy costs $50 billion a year, according to BSA

Software piracy costs $50 billion a year, according to BSA

A report released Tuesday claims that 20 percent of PC software within the United States is pirated – and that that rate is still the lowest in the world.

The sixth revision of a joint study between the Business Software Alliance and IDC found that that Armenia, Bangladesh, Georgia, and Zimbabwe are the countries with the highest amounts of piracy, topping 90 percent. Worldwide, the rate of software piracy rose from 38 percent to 41 percent, because of the increase of Internet users in high-piracy locations such as China and India, the report found. Software piracy within the U.S., meanwhile, has remained flat. Setting the effects of exchange rates aside, the report found that the estimated losses from software piracy grew by 5 percent to $50.2 billion.

In 2005, however, The Economist published a critique of the BSA/IDC methodology, concluding that the study's results were exaggerated. BSA and IDC representatives were not immediately available for comment.

The report comes against a backdrop of widespread crackdowns on sites that have used the BitTorrent protocol to disseminate software, movies, and music. Both Sweden's The Pirate Bay and The Netherlands' Mininova are facing down prosecutors intent on shutting both sites down; the operators of The Pirate Bay were found guilty of infringement, but said they would appeal.

In 2008, the rate of PC software piracy dropped in 57 countries, remained the same in 36, and rose in the remaining 17, the study found. Lowering global piracy by just one point a year would add $20 billion in stimulus to the IT industry, the BSA claims.

“We are continuing to make progress against PC software piracy in many countries, which helps people working in the US-led global software industry. That's the good news,” said BSA president and chief executive Robert Holleyman, in a statement.

“The bad news is that PC software piracy remains so prevalent in the United States and all over the world,” Holleyman said. “It undermines local IT service firms, gives illegal software users an unfair advantage in business, and spreads security risks. We should not and cannot tolerate a $9 billion hit on the software industry at a time of economic stress.”

The regions of the world with the least piracy include both North America and the European Union; the countries with the lowest piracy as measured by the study include the United States, Japan, New Zealand, and Luxembourg, all near 20 percent.

I do have to question BSA claims that 20 percent of PC software within the United States is pirated.

The exact figures are always going to be fuzzy (for obvious reasons). What they don't take into account is the fact that not all people who pirate something would buy it if they couldn't pirate it.

That being said, pirating does lose the corporations profit, 9 billion a year doesn't really require any great stretch of imagination to believe...

I don't believe any of that. Just because somebody downloads a torrent doesn't at all mean they're guaranteed to buy the software if they had to. Not by a long shot. There's no real way to estimate what it really costs so we get inflated figures like this. 50 billion is positively absurd.

I don't believe any of that. Just because somebody downloads a torrent doesn't at all mean they're guaranteed to buy the software if they had to. Not by a long shot. There's no real way to estimate what it really costs so we get inflated figures like this. 50 billion is positively absurd.

that's 100% true. the people i know who do this do it because they are NOT going to buy the software.

i think it is a bunch of BS.

Agreed, a lot of people I know who do such downloading through Torrents and such download stuff they basically never use! They download it because they can, I find it stupid and useless, but millions of people do it so whatever.

i agree, most things that people torrent are things that they don't really need, that they would not buy, so they are not loosing as much as they think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom