Service Packs Coming to End

Vista SP1 was pretty hefty install took almost an hour to load on any system I had to reformat.

If you read my post, you will see that XP SP2 and Vista SP1 are the only 2 SP released that made actual changes to the OS. So yes, Vista SP1 was hefty cause it made changes to the Kernel. If you read, Vista upon released was only version 6 of the kernel. With SP1 installed it was version 6.1, that change is what caused the install of the SP to be nasty, cause it changed the core of the OS itself.

Funny how people forget that there was actually SP for 95 and 98. But they didnt release them as SP. Windows 95 had 3 different Versions. Win95, Win95A and Win95B. Windows 98 had 2. Win98 and win98SE. The one most people used before jumping to XP.

So instead of releasing full SP, they released an updated version, which was the same exact thing.

Last edited:
If they get rid of service packs.. as long as they have "service-pack-like" downloads for IT, then I won't complain too much. Nothing more annoying than having to download 200+ updates, then wait to install them on a fresh install of Windows... That's what I do now with XP/Vista/7. I have the individual SP's saved onto one of my drives, and then if I have to format somebody's PC, I can get a jump start on the updates by having a good chunk of updates out of the way.

Friend of mine told me of a program that you can get all updates and compile them into a single install-able file. This was a long time ago so you'll have to Google for it. I used to do this before I stopped caring about updates.

Ideally I'd like an always-up-to-date ISO of Windows 7 available for download from MSDN/Dreamspark. They did a new ISO for SP1, would just be handy :)

It would be worth downloading all those updates and somehow loading them onto a Windows 7 iso if you only had to do it once. Then after that, it would save you the trouble of waiting 3 hours to download all the updates every single time you installed Windows on something.

It would be worth downloading all those updates and somehow loading them onto a Windows 7 iso if you only had to do it once. Then after that, it would save you the trouble of waiting 3 hours to download all the updates every single time you installed Windows on something.

That's what PP and I were already talking about. It's called slipstreaming.

Back
Top Bottom