Service Packs Coming to End

helix2301

In Runtime
Windows 7 will not see a second Service Pack. It's still unusual for Microsoft to stop after Service Pack 1 but over course of the last decade we have seen Service packs on the decline

Windows 2000 – Service Pack 4
Windows XP – Service Pack 3
Windows Vista – Service Pack 2
Windows 7 – Service Pack 1

It took three years for Microsoft to release an Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Which was delayed might I add because of the blaster issue which affected so many people. As of last month, it's been three years since the release of Windows 7 in October 2009.

People familiar with the matter have hinted that Windows 8 could mark the end of service packs, as a similar strategy could be extended to all the other operating systems in Microsoft's product family. Service Packs are expensive and time consuming for Microsoft to develop and deploy.

Would be nice if they could make the update process better/cleaner/faster/not insane. I only liked service packs since they bundled a bunch of single updates together essentially. I'd like to run an update and not have 70-80 items for a change in an OS. Maybe it could be more like OS updates on phones, or at least similar.

SP1 for 7 was only a bunch of security updates and such put together in one package. SP2 would essentially be the same thing so they figure there is no point. 7 has been the "perfect" OS so far.

Actually SP2 for Vista was the same exact way as SP1 was for Win7. It is also the same for SP3 for XP. They were nothing more than the updates sent out via Windows Update combined into 1 massive update. XP SP2 and Vista SP1 was the only ones that actually made changes to the OS.

Windows 2000 was used more as a Server based OS than desktop. I dont really count that as most people went from 98/ME to XP.

Actually SP2 for Vista was the same exact way as SP1 was for Win7. It is also the same for SP3 for XP. They were nothing more than the updates sent out via Windows Update combined into 1 massive update. XP SP2 and Vista SP1 was the only ones that actually made changes to the OS.

Windows 2000 was used more as a Server based OS than desktop. I dont really count that as most people went from 98se to XP.
Corrected :p

Corrected :p

You'd be surprised how many people went from ME to XP, not everyone is tech-savvy in the world. :p The first actual workable family computer that wasn't a Commodore or an old project box with 95 (which I ruined trying to install 98 on it, yay being young and dumb) had ME, a prebuilt from HP.

Windows 2000 was used more as a Server based OS than desktop. I dont really count that as most people went from 98/ME to XP.

Vista SP1 was pretty hefty install took almost an hour to load on any system I had to reformat.

Or they could go the Apple route and charge people for those costly updates. Therefore allowing users to stay up-to-date and secure while mitigating any costs associated with developing those Service Packs.

Back
Top Bottom